Buick Two Toning in the 1950's

Guest BJM

The topic is: what color combinations look best on the Buick in the 1950's during the high point of the sweepspear period?

Starting in 1954 and going through 1957 especially I have to say the Buicks looked good in two colors. Moreso in the Buick then in any other line of car - any manufacturer. Some Dodges and Plymouths looked good in two colors and some Pontiacs BUT Cadillacs, Chevy, Chryslers, Fords (most Fords) looked better in either single all body paint or a painted roof only with body all one color.

But the Buick is different, or is it? I must say I think the two toning should be light/dark and not dark/dark. For instance a dark grey and maroon car - to me - doesn't llok as nice as maroon and Glacier White. Just about anything worked well with white as one of the colors.

I think Buicks look great in all one color too - copper / grey / dark green / maybe black. How about two shades of a single color such as mint green over Polo (dark) green? O r two shades of blue?

Guest ewing

did buick ever do a factory 3 color?

I think some other did ...like Packard?

Anyone ever seen a 3 color Buick... tastefully done of course, not a hotrodders idea of classy.

On buick, glacier white seemed to be a common roof accent color.

Yes, Buick offered three-toning during 1955 and 1956. One of the most stunning combinations I've seen was a '55 Century 2-door Riviera in (top-to-bottom) Carlsbad Black, Cherokee Red, and Cameo Beige.

Here's a paint chart that lists the available 3-tone combinations in '55:

http://buicks.net/years/55/55paint.html

By the way, BJM, it is my understanding that the 1954's were not two-toned from the factory, except for a contrasting roof color -- not the car body itself.

Guest imported_Thriller

I think the sweepspear made all the difference in helping to make the Buicks look good.

I'm not going to pretend to have a favourite...I haven't seen enough, although I do think black and red look good together.

I also really like the two tones on the '59s. The angular lines made a great location to change the colour.

I agree about Buick's two- and tri-tone paint of the '50s, and a personal fave is...

Roadmistress_Rainey5X.jpg

Larger, click once after opening.

My '57 RM in Dover White & Dresden Blue; the former is original, but the latter was

resprayed decades ago. The red Sweepspear makes a great demark, and red wheels

really make it pop, IMHO. A Product Sevice Bulletin later in the year added beige,

blue and green to the Sweepspear color choice, for folks who didn't want red.

The tri-tone '55's & '56's are really stunning, in any color!

TG

My Special was originally factory ordered tri tone. Dover white roof, Cascade blue middle, Cameo beige below the sweepspear. Along with two-tone grey seats, black dash, etc., there were a lot of colors going on. When I restored it, I decided to make the lower body white (two tone sandwich). I just didn't like the color blind original owners choice in paint scheme. grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Centurion</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> By the way, BJM, it is my understanding that the 1954's were not two-toned from the factory, except for a contrasting roof color -- not the car body itself. </div></div>

Thanks. It was the 54's that got me thinking about this issue. I have never seen a 54 that had two toning that included the body, now that you mention it BUT I also do not believe I have seen a one color body on the Super or Roadmaster. Every one I have seen has a white or black roof treatment witha contrasting lower body. I have seen quite a few 54 Specials with "mono"tone paint.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dkbuick75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure of the "official" 55 color names, but one of our chapter members has a 55 in 3hades--- Black roof, Dove Gray upper, Artic White below spear-- very rich looking combination. </div></div>

Interesting - in that you have degrees of shade black to grey top white. I would think that would be nice to see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TG57Roadmaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree about Buick's two- and tri-tone paint of the '50s, and a personal fave is...

Roadmistress_Rainey5X.jpg

Larger, click once after opening.

My '57 RM in Dover White & Dresden Blue; the former is original, but the latter was

resprayed decades ago. The red Sweepspear makes a great demark, and red wheels

really make it pop, IMHO. A Product Sevice Bulletin later in the year added beige,

blue and green to the Sweepspear color choice, for folks who didn't want red.

The tri-tone '55's & '56's are really stunning, in any color!

TG </div></div>

TG - You could not BUY that kind of detail on any modern car. Those days are long gone. As you know - note the white top color extension down the front wheel opening line - they could have easily painted the blue all the way to the fender. and you are correct on the red piping/wheels. It adds the final detail.

Guest ewing

I know we are not talking about the 58's but I have to say one of the things I like least is seeing a 2 tone 58 with different colors above and below the sweepspear. It never came that way from the factory and there is just no good way to end the color edge at the front corner. This always leads to the lower color carried thru the headlight area that just looks wrong from the front view.

Especially in high contrast colors.

Maybe we can start a society for the prevention of the use of the 58 sweepspear to separate two different colors; or the SPUFESSTDC's