Convertible as a parade car

BadgerRivFan

Al,

While not a Riv Convert, I have used my 75 LeSabre a few

times for this purpose-- Before I found my Parade Boot and had just the standard vinyl boot cover--- You make sure the people are sitting on the upper section of the rear seat frame, front well opening frame area- with the bulk of their weight on the well frame--this is one of the stronger points in construction of a convertible and as long as the people are caring, don't way a ton and pay attention to where they are parking their butts on your car- you shouldn't have any problems--- Also as advice, especially if your riders are female--- make sure they take off their shoes while their sitting there--- nothing worse than some bimbo in stilleto's or whatever, putting the spike of her heel thru your leather seat cushion or some figity politician constantly shuffling their dirty shoe bottoms like sandpaper across your seat, possibly scuffing or tearing the leather material and than saying "oops, I'm sorry" or not even acknowledging the problem at all. 'Cuz I'm sure they will readily accept responsibility for their action and "Sorry" won't pay for the bill to have the entire back seat re-upholstered. If I were to use the car for this purpose again, now that I have the parade boot- I'm still going to make sure their butts are on that ledge and not on the boot-- 'cuz I'm going to tell them they can't afford the replacement cost, to find, repair & paint what their fat arse busted- let alone my wrath. Just because its' called a "Parade Boot" doesn't mean it was made to be sat on! The biggest thing I would tell you-- Its' your car-- you lay down the rules from the beginning where and how they ride back there--- they don't like it---T.F.B.-- let em find another convertibe that day for their needs.

Guest Ranger

Don,

Just for information, what is the difference between a "parade boot" and the vinyl boot cover?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim,

Unfortunately this was something never offered for the Riviera convertibles. The difference is your standard Vinyl boot is just that. A piece of vinyl or leather made to fit the well cover of a convertible when the top is down. This 95% of time matches the interior color of the car. These sometimes take a liitle longer to install because of the individual multiple button clips that must be secured and stretched to get the final fit. The "Parade Boot" was a $38 optional 2-pc molded fiberglas cover made for the same purpose. These were made & offered by I believe only Cadillac & Buick for the Eldorado and Full Size Buick "B" bodied LeSabre and Centurion of 73 to 75/ 76 Eldo era. They will fit all the way back to 71 Full Size GM convertibles with the "scissors" style folding top. These were painted body color to match the vehicle. I believe the 'glas boot will fit all the other 71-75 Full Size GM convertibles-- (Chevy, Pontiac, Oldsmobile), but they were not offered as an optional cover by the other divisions. Installation starts by tilting the 1/2 section of the boot toward the rear well opening, sliding the attached mounting hooks (3 per side) under the body sheetmetal, then interlocking the 2nd half cover to the first and repeating the installation process. Mounted at the front corners of each boot half are 2-piece Zeus Clips (speed clips requiring 3/4 turn into the locking mechanism), with the locking section of the clip riveted into the seat side sail panels. Takes all of about 2 minutes to install completely. The Parade boot sits a little taller on the vehicle (about 1" -1 1/2") above the body while the vinyl boot of this era fits almost flush with the top of the car body as no arms are in the way with high corners, because on a "scissors" style top the side arms fold inward toward the center of the car and lay flush in the top well over the rear glass and folded top material-- The advantage to this was on that last gen GM convertibles you gained the width of a "FULL" length rear seat-- same width as a sedan or hardtop. On the Riv and balance of convertibles with the standard folding top style-- the side arms fold straight backover each other, resulting in a slightly smaller width (about 6") rear seating area. With the side rails folding over each other, you get that "traditional" higher (puffier) shoulder look to the convertible boot cover when installed. I know I got a "little" long winded with the explanation, but I hope my description helps paint a more detailed difference between the 2 boot applications.

Guest wildcat62

Al, I've wrangled some guy with a Riviera convertible to help me out for a parade at work. smile.gif

This is what we did. Get a big cooler and some blankets. You can put the cooler onto the back seat and put a blanket over it and have people sit on the blanket. Works better with one person than two because they lose a real place to set their feet unless they sit a little sideways but it does a great job of not worrying about damaging the top and still having a person up and visible.

Guest Ranger

Don,

Thanks for the info, didn't know such a thing existed. I sold my '85 Riv. convert. partially because of the hassle of the vinyl boot, went with the Reatta flush fold. The back seat of the Riv really was a whole lot narrower than the coupe. Thanks again for explaining the difference.

Jim

Ihave loaned my Riviera Convertible several times to be used in parades. I make sure that they sit on the front of the boot area and always make them use a pillow. Have never had a problem. As someone mentioned before watch the high heels, they must come off before they get in the car,period

Forgot to mention that the 'glas boot was not something new & exclusive to the 70's era Full size GM converts--- these first appeared on the 59 & 60 Eldorado converts-- although I believe these may have been in more than 2 pieces- its' been a while since I've see that era Caddy convt at a show and I never really paid that close attention to detail as to how thay were made or how many pieces it took to cover that rear well opening-- and they were made with special raised ends to cover the higher "shouldered" corners. They really set off and finish the look of that long finned body. It really gives the body lines a more streamlined and finished appearance. I've been asked several times at shows if that was something I had "custom" made for the car and watch the jaws drop on the people when I answer it was just a $38 option when new. The dealers and the 2 divisions (Caddy & Buick) did a very poor job of marketing & upselling this option. I never knew about it (and I bought the car new in 75) until I joined the BCA and took the car to its first ALL BUICK car show in Milwaukee, WI in 1990 and the owner of the dealership had his 75 on display with the boot and I inquired from him where he purchased it, and was shocked to learn it was an available option that I could have bought when I bought the car. -- I fell in love with the look the first time I saw it, and knew I now had a somewhat rare option to pursue for my 75. I still have the original vinyl boot, but have never put it back on the car in the 18 years since I found my "Parade Boot".

• 3 weeks later...