Radiator shop rebuilt 40 Buick radiator now have a problem

michel88

I had a radiator shop recore my 40 Roadmaster radiator with a 4 row core to help cooling. They also put on a new filler neck. After installing the radiator I found that the new neck is too deep for the cap to make contact. It will shoot out water after a drive now because it is not sealed or under pressure. The neck is 1-1/8" deep instead of the standard 3/4" deep neck. I haven't had any luck finding a radiator cap that extends deep enough to seal. I would like to avoid removing the radiator to put on a standard neck. Does anyone know of a radiator cap that would work with the deeper neck?

They have several silicone rubber compounds good for 500 deg. F. for as little as around $7. Check the beginning of the section for an explanation of Shore hardness if you're not familiar.......Bob

I had the same problem you have with my radiator shop when he recorded my 1940 radiator he changed the neck and had the same problem you did. When I brought it back to him he replaced it without taking the radiator out it talking about a half-hour. Later I found the right cap On eBay I might have another one in my garage if you can't find one let me know and i will ship it to you if I can find it.

Frank

I went to several auto supplies and NAPA was very helpful but could not get a cap that would work. I would be very interested if you can find the cap in your garage and it would work with a 1 1/8 deep neck. Thanks for your help Frank.

Well that was fast sometimes I think I know what I'm doing. Well I found it and it's yours for the address to send it to if it fits it and works for you keep it it cost me $24 on eBay I tried it once a long trip and it worked well. It's still in the original 1940 bucks I believe but if it doesn't work please send it back I will ship as soon as I have your address. Please send no money to your sure it works.

Have a greatBUICK day

Frank

Frank thanks so much for taking the trouble to find the radiator cap. One thing you could check to see if it will work is to measure from the surface that seals the cap to the top of the neck to rubber gasket that seals it on the bottom of the neck. It has to be about 1 1/4" approximately. If it is less than 1 1/8" it won't contact the bottom of the neck. The radiator shop put this deeper than stock neck on by mistake. I will be glad to give you what it cost you and the shipping to me. My address is: Woody Michel, 9816 Lyons Mill Rd, Owings Mills, MD 21117

Hi Woody well I think we have a match I will ship tomorrow been Saturday and like I say try it before you buy it. I am in no hurry to get it back. I will be glad to see if it works.

Have a great Buick day

Frank

Frank, I got the radiator cap Monday and it will work fine. I sent you a personal message asking for your address so I can mail you a check for the cap plus shipping. If you don't mind you can post your address or reply to PM. It should be blinking icon at the top when you go on the Buick forum or click on my Michel88 and you will see an option for sending me a PM. Thanks so much for your trouble.

Hi Woody. Well I am glad it's gone a work for you. It was no trouble the people to really thank or the people on this forum and especially the ones that run it. That's what keeps us runing. My address is Frank Batty senior. 5 jolicoeur rd. Spencer, MA 01562.

Have a great Buick day

Frank

• 1 month later...

I was able to make it work. I got another radiator cap from a forum member that was very close to sealing the radiator neck. I made a spacer out of neoprene that went under the cap and it now holds pressure fine. The radiator shop was willing to replace the neck and even remove and replace the radiator to do so. This radiator is very hard to take out involving removing the hoods and the sheet metal piece between them. You even have to loosen and spread the fenders slightly. I didn't want them to try doing this. The radiator works well now and the car runs nice and cool even on the hottest days.