Need infor on camero muffler noise

Guest cool wheels

Guest cool wheels

I am thinking about installing the camero flowmaster series 40 dual pipe muffler on my 90 Reatta but I do not want it to sound like a hot rod or a rice rocket, especially at cruising speed. Can anyone clue me in on how loud the camero muffler is? Also, does it hang too low when installed? Also, the muffler be painted black so it does not show too much? Thanks a lot.

Any muffler behind a catalytic converter is going to be pretty quiet. For years I ran a SBC with no muffler, just a single big pipe out of the converter. Have also run a stright pipe out of a turbo diesel and was not objectionable.

The key is smoothing the exhaust pulses

Now the dual 24" cherry bombs on a H-pipe on the Judge...

If I recall correctly, the Flowmaster mufflers have series like 40, 50, 60 etc.... the higher the number the quieter and heavier construction (and price) I would be reluctant to put the 40 series on my Reatta.

There are many other muffler (brands) on the market for the Camaro that are cheaper, quieter, and will still flow good enough for our application.

The general consensus on performance forums, such as SpeedTalk, is the Flowmasters are inferior to the Magnaflow brand or Dynomax, which is what I am using. Barney is right about the model numbers also, and a series 40 will likely be noisier than you want. I have run V8's (single pipe) without any muffler but did have a cat. and it was acceptable to me. I have a single 2.5" exhaust with two sequential cat's and no muffler on a 4 liter Ranger and it is on the edge as for acceptable sound. It seems a 4 or 6 cylinder is harder to muffle, at least with a single exhaust, than a v8 (no overlap??) The stock muffler appears to have been painted black from the factory.

Guest cool wheels

thanks for the infor, guys. I do not want the muffler to be much louder, if any, than the stock muffler. The look of twin tail pipes is what I am after.