Rochester 2 Jet 1962

Guest Kiwiolds

Guest Kiwiolds

I have just purchased a 1962 Dyanic 88 with a 2 Jet Rochester. I started to look around in regards to either getting the rebuild kit, or purchasing a rebuid carb. So I went looking on the carburettor for the model number. Could only fing a set of numbers on the drivers side, set in a circular arrangement of 7026398. On looking on a web site www.oldengine.org, it has been explained that the 70 means Rochester Division, the 2 means 1960 and the 6 means more specificly 1966. the 3 means California Mono Jet, and the 9 means "Special". The 8 I'm not sure. My questions are. Am I correct with this number being the correct identification for this carb. Secondly Are these identifications correct. Which would mean that this carb is not the original, but is four years younger. Thirdly what does the "special" mean. Lastly, I would like to make sure that I have the correctly rated and working carb for this car. I need to know wether I should be looking to rebuild this carb, if it is the correct carb and would do. Or should I be trying to source a new/Old card to rebuild that is more suited for this year. I am new to this feild having just purchased my first classic and need some good sound advice. Thanks Scott KIWIOLDS

Scott, Rochester carb id in those years was by means of a triangular aluminum tag attached to one of the carb air horn screws. Age, wear and replacement means a lot of those tags are gone.

The number you're seeing is the float bowl part number cast into it, and a MonoJet is a one-barrel carb which I'm pretty sure your Dynamic does not have.

Neither the 61-62 shop books nor the Service Guilds really address the correct carb part # but my 1971 Delco Carburetor manual lists several 2GC applications for 1962. I expect any of these will use the same repair and overhaul kit.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Rochester 2GC Carb #s used in 1962 Oldsmobile:</span>

7020<span style="font-weight: bold">051</span>, 7020<span style="font-weight: bold">052</span>, 7020<span style="font-weight: bold">053</span> - pretty sure these are for full-size car. <span style="font-weight: bold">052, 053</span> are commonly used in 1963 thru 1966 394 and 425 2 barrel applications so <span style="font-weight: bold">7020052</span> for non airconditioned and <span style="font-weight: bold">7020053</span> with factory installed air conditioning would be my first thoughts for your 1962 394.

7020058, 7020954, 0956, 0957, 0959, 0980, 0981, 0982, 0983 are also listed but these will cover F85 215 cid and California 394 cid engines.

Hopefully this has helped, or made it clear as mud. If Oldsfan is listening, he may have some better insight on this.

Here's what I come up with:

7020052 2GC '62 Dynamic 88

7020058 2GC '62 Dynamic 88 with a/c

7020954 2GC '62 Dynamic 88 with positive crankcase ventilation

7020956 2GC '62 Dynamic 88 with a/c and pcv

I agree with Glenn on your identification number. Most likely a casting number for the bowl, not an actual carb ID number.

Paul

My understanding is: Rochester used the same carburetor

number for subsequent years until some change was made.

They then changed the number to that year and did not change it again until another change was made.

The four year difference could be that the carburetor is correct and the last change was made four years earlier.

Dave

Guest Kiwiolds

Thanks for the help guys. This carb has had the auto chock replaced by a manual. Original owner had this done as auto choke was sticking. Do you feel I should get a service kit and try to rebuild to original condition. Also mechanical fuel pump has been replaced by an electric. This is of course not original. Your thoughts on installing an original fuel pump. What are your thoughts. Dual or single

The link below lists carburetor application numbers for the 1962 Oldsmobile:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Koldsmobile2.htm

The link below explains Rochester carburetor identification:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Carburetor_ID.htm#IDRochester

Use the various printed decoding charts with a grain of salt (maybe a pound rather than a grain). The codification of Rochester carburetors is ABSOLUTELY NOT 100 PERCENT CORRECT!!!!! Probably 90 percent correct, but that means 10 percent WRONG! The codification chart is handy, but for absolute identification, look up the number in an applications guide and don't use the codefication chart.

Rochester 2-barrel carburetors are (my opinion) some of the finest carburetors ever built by any company; but one will get best results using the CORRECT one. Rochester did not spend all that money each year on R & D just to lower profits for investors! The same is true for making many different models if "one carb fit all applications".

The auto choke possibly was replaced because the manifold heat stove was defective. This can be a labor-intensive repair on some models.

Electric pumps have good points and bad. The key would be if the pump has an output pressure which is in the range required by the carburetor.

Jon.