Electrical mind of its' own

ojh

I have been fixing electrical problems in this 90 reatta convertable and everything works as it should, there are no trouble codes. The IPC still shows intermittant 'electrical problem' and 'error' in the message window. I am ready to purchase another. But yesterday and today the IPC will light up with 'electrical problem' and 'error' without the key in the ignition, nothing. It will pop up for a bit and then off, just random (again, the car is just sitting there and the ignition key could be in my pocket and the IPC will power up). When the display is normal i check for error codes and it shows a B336H & B552H which is consistant with what i am seeing, but shows no fault.

I found and repaired a number of electrical problems in this car and documented them in a prior thread but i am at a loss as to what is going on now. Any thoughts?

I'm a little confused. You start out by saying, "everything works as it should, there are no trouble codes."

Then you go on to say, "When the display is normal i check for error codes and it shows a B336H & B552H which is consistant with what i am seeing, but shows no fault."

Are you saying the codes come and go without clearing them? What do you mean by "shows no fault"?

Those are 2 history codes, the B336H says there is IPC data loss (as when the display blanks out); B552H is the BCM memory has been reset as when i disconnected the battery. I don't see these as a 'fault' as much as confirmation of what is there.

Guest daveagain909

Try a new quality battery if you have not yet done so. These cars have to have almost perfect electrical power to work correctly, When having problems I always start out with a new battery. $70 to $100 if I havent put a new one in the last 2 years. If I replaced in the last 2 years I go back to seller and make them give me a new one. Just a thought.

While not a common problem, feel under the passanger seat for damp carpet. If damp, pull the seat and open up the wiring bundle, there are a couple of crimped splices that will give you nightmares if they are corroded.

Just last week a fellow called from a restoration shop...the building owner has a Reatta convertible and while he was well qualified to do automotive wiring, he could not track down the gremlins. We talked about the splice and he later sent pictures. There was water standing in the channel that the harness lives in.

Below is a photo he sent me...look closely and you can see the wires are in water.

Where the water comes from is another technical issue.

post-30596-143138074337_thumb.jpg