From slant 6 to V8

Have a 1973 Oldsmobile Omega with a 250 cid Chevrolet 6 cyl.

Like to replace this engine with an Oldsmobile 350 cid.

Does anyone have any experience doing this, and will I run into big problems doing so. Guess frame-engine mounts needs to be relocated and radiator replaced. Anyting else-anyone?

If you can find the Olds V8 frame mounts this will be about as simple a swap as there is. I believe the mounts are the same 73-79, but I'm pretty sure you have to find a car that was originally equipped with a 260 or 350 Olds V8.

You'll also need to note exactly which holes the mounts bolt into on the crossmember.

There's more Omega traffic on classicoldsmobile.com (not that that's saying much). Joe Padavano is on there more than here and he should have some insight on this swap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rocketraider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you can find the Olds V8 frame mounts this will be about as simple a swap as there is. I believe the mounts are the same 73-79, but I'm pretty sure you have to find a car that was originally equipped with a 260 or 350 Olds V8.

You'll also need to note exactly which holes the mounts bolt into on the crossmember.

There's more Omega traffic on classicoldsmobile.com (not that that's saying much). Joe Padavano is on there more than here and he should have some insight on this swap. </div></div>

Or, I can respond here... grin.gif

Actually, the 1973-74 cars use a different subframe from the 1975-79 cars. The early subframes are based on the first gen Camaro/Firebird and are rear-steer, the later ones are based on the second gen F-body and are front steer. I don't know if the frame pads are the same or not.

By the way, unless someone swapped in a Chrysler motor, that's NOT a slant six.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joe_padavano</div><div class="ubbcode-body">By the way, unless someone swapped in a Chrysler motor, that's NOT a slant six. </div></div>

Maybe it's got a bad motor mount... grin.gif

Guest Bob Call

Find the right year motor mounts and it should be near a bolt in. May require drilling a mounting hole or two in the frame. The throttle and transmission TV linkage from the V8 will also need to be used. Exhaust header pipe for V8 also and maybe some hoses. Radiator may require a fan shroud which was used on most V8's.

tv