B132c

Guest Bugler

Guest Bugler

That is the only current code I have left. Is the oil pressure sensor easy to fix? Do I need to drain the oil? How much is the sensor?

What is BD71 showing ? Erratic ? Does the oil warning light come on with the key on and engine off ? I normaly keep a spare oil pressure sensor around, they fail often and are critical since they are supposed to shut off the fuel pump if the pressure drops too low.

That said the sensor is located on top of the oil filter housing and unscrews. With the right socket and a long extension you should be able to reach down approximately in front of the idler pulley. The 91 "L" uses a different sensor than the 88-90 "C" engine to accomodate the higher oil pressure relief setting.

Guest Bugler

Can I get a part number? A price? Do I need to drain oil? I can't check yet cause my car is far away but I will later.

The gauge is erratic with key on car off. But I get no oil light. When the car is on the gauge is pegged with no light.

Guest Bugler

Checking advance and autozone I see no listing for oil pressure sensor. Is it called something else? Autozone has an oil pressure switch.

Guest MauiWowee

No problem driving it, but some of us prefer the Delco unit from a dealer. Maybe more money, but fewer trips for another one. cool.gif

Guest daveagain909

is this the right part for a 1990?

Duralast / Oil Pressure Switch Part Number: PS149

Price: $22.99

OEM Brand: STANDARD

OEM Part Number: PS227

Guest Bugler

Autozone shows the same part number for the 92 riv and 91 reatta. So I went to Advance and got the one for the 92 Riv. If they aren't the same, I'll go to Autozone.

Guest Greg Ross

Pretty sure I'm still using the Sender off the Original 3.8/ '88 engine. It has just recently (last week and a half) been intermittant "Electrical Problem" lit and the guage is pegged at 255 psi. Then occasionally it's purring along at 72 psi like always. A la '95 3800 with the higher oil pressure/ pressure regulator.

Have mine conveniently located right on top of the engine behind the blower. (had clash with the 1/2 shaft at the time of the original swap tubed it up remote, figured it may as well be accessable!)

I have had so many GM oil pressure senders go bad that I normally keep a spare. '90 goes bananas at hot idle (from 1/2 way to 3/4s) but is right most of the time. 255 will definately set a code.

In 1990 we bought a new Bonneville & headed off on a trip. Within 400 mile the oil pressure sender was acting up. There is even a TSB on it.

Guest jcc3inc

I have had the oil sender on our '97 LeSabre go bad (intermittent normal-high excursions). I replaced it and now it has the same normal-high readings. I can't believe that it is not bad! The oil pressure actually can't change that quickly.

Regards,

Jack C.

Jack, your description of the oil pressure problem is a little confusing. Are you saying the new sender did not make a difference or are you saying your oil pressure reading is not as you expect it to be? Please explain.

You say, "The oil pressure actually can't change that quickly." The pressure should change with engine RPM and will be slightly higher or lower depending on the temperature of the engine.

Guest Mike_s

"Standard Motor Products also sells its products in Europe through its European Segment. The Company distributes parts under its own brand names, such as Standard, ACi, BWD, Hayden and Four Seasons, and through private labels, such as CARQUEST and NAPA Echlin"

per http://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/companyProfile?\

Standard also makes neihoff http://www.smpcorp.com

not sure if the Standard, BWD, neihoff, napa echlin parts are all the same quality though.

Also keep in mind thart NAPA\standard typicaly offers a value line and a "good stuff"/quality line