Packard Exhaust Brackets

Guest Z71Hobbs

Guest Z71Hobbs

Hello all... have a few more questions.

We are in the midst of the chassis restoration and I am trying to determine how to properly mount the exhaust to the chassis. The original pieces are long gone. I have located a few photos from a 1934 chassis in Wade's Shop in Australia, compliments of Mal smile.gif I am trying to determine is if the brackets displayed are correct.

If so, I will need to find some. Any help would be grateful.

The chassis has been painted, and the new springs are almost done.

Thanks!

post-58840-143138069576_thumb.jpg

post-58840-143138069582_thumb.jpg

post-58840-143138069584_thumb.jpg

post-58840-143138069586_thumb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Z71Hobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello all... have a few more questions. We are in the midst of the chassis restoration and I am trying to determine how to properly mount the exhaust to the chassis. The original pieces are long gone. I have located a few photos from a 1934 chassis in Wade's Shop in Australia, compliments of Mal smile.gif.........</div></div>

Thanks for the attribution re the pic's. Would be even better if there were royalties too. LOL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave Mitchell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The brackets look right. There should also be a heat shield between the muffler and the shock. </div></div>

Dave,

There is one heat shield on Wade's '34 1101 exhaust pipe but it's at the top of the bend over the diff, see pic. I'll try to remember to ask Wade if there was a heat shield between the muffler and the shock on either of his '34's when I'm at the workshop next week

post-52046-143138070411_thumb.jpg

Guest Z71Hobbs

Thanks Mal!! Always a pleasure to see your posts. The images you have uploaded through the packardinfo site have been fantastic and invaluable.

The next time you are over at wade's shop, would you be able to take some detailed photos of the muffler brackets, both front and rear? I would like to get as many detailed photos as I can get! smile.gif

Also, can you see if he if he has any extra brackets on his spare chassis and if he would be willing to part with those brackets?

Thanks!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Z71Hobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">........The next time you are over at wade's shop, would you be able to take some detailed photos of the muffler brackets, both front and rear? I would like to get as many detailed photos as I can get! smile.gif

Also, can you see if he if he has any extra brackets on his spare chassis and if he would be willing to part with those brackets?

Thanks!! </div></div>

I will be at the workshop tomorrow, Monday, scraping and cleaning parts for Wade's '37 Super 8 and will take plenty of pic's of the muffler brackets.

But because Wade is currently away, I'm not likely to catch up with him until Wednesday at the earliest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Z71Hobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.......what kind of camera do you use? </div></div>

The cheapest digital one I could quickly find at the time! It's a Samsung S630 6.0 mega pixels and I bought a 1 gb memory for it as well. Realise now I didn't use the close up function at all for those pic's, so in the circumstances they didn't turn out too badly especially as many were taken as hand held, point and hope because of the restricted area involved.

Hobbs,

Looks like you're in luck. Wade doesn't require the muffler brackets so if you're still after them please let me know. Brackets are complete but the front rubber mount to the chassis is shot, after all it's only 75 years old, and there is only one U-bolt. The rear bracket has wire holding it together, that is to show the way it should be assembled. Likewise with the front bracket which has tape holding it together. Note - if they are required they will be shipped with the California dirt they arrived with here in Oz! So cleaning WILL be required.

Tomorrow I'll go to the Post Office and get a shipping cost, as I presume you'll require them. Then we can work out payment, being a nominal cost for the parts, plus shipping.

And for those interested, I asked Wade about the heat shield between the muffler and the shock and neither '34 had one.

More pic's now in the Picasa Album of the brackets off the parts chassis.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ozstatman/WadeSWorkshopMay2009#

post-52046-143138071584_thumb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ozstatman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..........Tomorrow I'll go to the Post Office and get a shipping cost, as I presume you'll require them. Then we can work out payment, being a nominal cost for the parts, plus shipping.......</div></div>

Hobbs,

Sorry, didn't see your PM until just now and I've responded with shipping and other cost info.