Rear window defroster

CTX-SLPR

Has anyone had any experience with adding on a resistor grid style defroster to an unequipped rear window? I don't think my blower style defroster is going to be very effective (someone correct me if I'm wrong there) and I was thinking about adding an aftermarket kit to the rear window and controlling it with the original switch.

Thanks,

A number of years ago I had some experience installing aftermarket rear window defogger kits. The hardest part is getting the window clean enough so that the adhesive won't turn loose later down the road. They were "just okay" in my opinion. We'd install them as aftermarket units for dealerships, and more or less give them a "taillight warranty." (One reason I didn't care for them, our boss wouldn't stand behind them.) The switch suppied with them was cheap, looked cheap, and required modifying the dash for the switch or just hanging it from the dash. They wouldn't pull enough current to really melt the heavy stuff, they'd clear some fog though - that's why we sold them as defoggers, not defrosters. The wires in the grid were thin and were easily torn or scratched. Toward the end, there were some high end applications coming on the market, but we never got into them - they were high dollar and weren't marketable for us. This was some time ago; I don't know what might be on the market now.

Ed

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...