Top motor and pump

hotrod1940

So I don't hijack someones else post, I need help with the rebuilding of a top pump. I have the starter motor removed and the main gear in the pump seems frozen. I am timidly trying to get it freed up and not having much luck. Lots of gunk and have soaked it in carburetor cleaner and the main gear is really froze. Am I missing something that may be holding it. This is the off-center type gear.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Bob Nugent

Bob, you are not missing something! This has happened to me too. The outer gear will "fuse" itself to the wall of the housing. I think it's a combination of hardened brake fluid, iron gear and zinc alloy pump housing? I tried everything but as you know there's really no way to get behind the gear and knock it out. I ended up getting another pump.

I wanted to see just why that gear was so frozen so I drilled a hole from the back of the housing into the cavity, took a punch and beat the back side of the gear and it finally came out. It had really fused itself. Another bear about these pumps is the relief valve. They too, get stuck/frozen and can make your life miserable. I was able to force the valve out by feeding 3/16" ball bearings into the relief valve hole intrance in the pump cavity, forcing them in with a screw driver, one at a time until the valve move back far enough so a small needle nose could extrack it from the spring end. This old stuff is lots of fun, Good luck

I thank you for the quick reply. It is hard to imagine that gear would fuse itself, but it sure does. I haven't really applied to much pressure for fear of messing up the gears.

I might take a few more whacks as I have nothing to lose. lol.

You have saved me a lot of time and I appreciate your help. I will see if I can find a replacement, and as a last resort, get a modern pump.

i can see that you have helped many people here, so, thanks again.

Guest DADDIO65

If you do get it apart, soak it in mineral spirits to loosen up any crud. In the gears themselves be careful not to nick the "teeth" on them. They will clean up with steele wool on the outer edges. On the ends of each gear, if you have an extra-fine knife honing stone, lightly go over those ends to remove any burrs caused by removal. Make sure that you also clean up the end plate of that pump. I imagine that there are "star" indentions on the end of it from the gears. I recommend a good ole piece of flat glass and fine emery paper to run the cap across until those star indentions are gone. This will make any blow-by less likely from the end plate. Also, on the drive gear, lightly emery cloth the seal area(I am assuming there is one on this gear pump). It should be rather easy to get going. If you have any problems, e-mail me I can help if you'd like.

Jeff

• 1 month later...

hello

I'm new on the forum

I'm writing from Spain and have a Continental 47, V12

would you know where to refer me for spare parts, I'd need the mecaninc fuel pump, an electrical one was installed but I'm not sure if it's a good idea....

thank you

Luis, welcome to the forum. The fuel pump used on your V12 is the same as that used on the '46 to '48 flathead Ford v8's. They are readily available from places like Mac's , Sacramento Vintage Ford and Joblot. You need the one with the glass bowl.

For other parts or even the fuel pump check out the "sources" section of this web site. Good luck

• 2 months later...