Trucks...again...wanted

Guest imported_Thriller

Guest imported_Thriller

I've kind of been developing this hankering for a Buick truck. Here's some of my thinking.

I'm not a huge fan of the really early cars - I appreciate them, but I'm not sure I'd be able to love them properly. In the long haul, we are working toward a stewardship covering the various decades (missing the '30s for sure). If I were to get a vehicle from the 1910s, I think a truck makes sense. They are relatively rarely seen and they are practical. Of course, I also wouldn't have the children fighting in the back seat.

In looking at the Buick trucks, the really early ones with the squat noses really don't appeal to me at all, so I'm thinking more toward the mid- to late-teens would be the best example for me.

Now, the ideal would be finding a McLaughlin truck, but I'm not that fussy.

So, I'd appreciate it if anyone knows of one for sale to keep me in mind. I have an enclosed hauler, so moving it wouldn't be a huge deal, although timing has to work.

With that, I've been doing some searching online. Does anyone know what happened to the 1915 at this Nebraska auction last year?

I'm going to try keeping my eyes open, but that's only one set (of 4).

Guest imported_Thriller

Is there a definitive reference out there for Buick trucks? There is the Encyclopedia of American Trucks (may not have the title exactly correct) by Albert Mroz. For a time I was looking at getting one, but with Buick playing such a small part, I'm not sure I want to spend the money some of them seem to be going for.

From what I have seen (1910 A2 and the C4 and D4 from the teens), the tendency seems to be a single character followed by a single digit. The latest roster lists 4-SDs for 1923 and 1924.

If someone has this information, it would be a great follow up to the October 2008 Bugle article on trucks.

What I'm after isn't extensive - a list of years and models would be a nice start. Of course, if there was more, such as manufacturing numbers and so on, that would be icing on the cake.

I was definitely disappointed this week when I went to my <span style="font-style: italic">Standard Catalog of Buick</span> and found listings for all the cars, but nothing for the trucks...sigh.

Guest imported_Thriller

grin.gifcool.gif

It seems to me I've read that truck production stopped after 1918 (?) then restarted for 1922-23 although there was some question as to whether or not there may have been some sold as 1924 models. I see no models I would identify as trucks in the 2008 roster from 1919 to 1922. There is a model 4-SD listed for 1924.

I know few will have survived, especially based on the numbers in the roster and that we have seen at national meets. I'm just hoping to raise the profile enough that if someone comes across a truck for sale that they think of me.

Some of those truck styles in that page are pretty neat...not just your run of the mill pickup or stake bed truck.

Does anyone know anything about the 1923 Buick Cantrell Depot that was in the GM Centennial Parade in Flint? I had wondered / assumed that it was a custom-bodied vehicle, but seeing this page of styles makes me wonder. Or would Buick perhaps have contracted out to a company by the name of Cantrell as they did to Ionia for wagons?

Well, I bit the bullet on Amazon.ca and paid for a copy of the <span style="font-style: italic">Illustrated Encyclopedia of American Trucks</span>. It isn't like the money was burning a hole in my pocket, but I guess I'm curious enough to have pulled the trigger.

Just get an old car chassies and put a box on the back like the old timers did and have yourself a good time. A worthy thing to do with an already cut down Buick. Mark Shaw can tell you all about it.. laugh.gif .Dandy Dave!

You can park anyone of those in my garage anytime. grin.gif How about your garage thriller??? laugh.gif But what would you kick out? shocked.gif That 50's Buick pickup sitting out in the back 40 that was posted not that long ago was neat also. I think it was in Colorado. laugh.gif Dandy Dave!

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1DandyDaves</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can park anyone of those in my garage anytime. grin.gif How about your garage thriller??? laugh.gif But what would you kick out? shocked.gif That 50's Buick pickup sitting out in the back 40 that was posted not that long ago was neat also. I think it was in Colorado. laugh.gif Dandy Dave! </div></div>

I could make space. Although I would have to be careful about the height of door vs. truck. I do have some different door heights, so I could do it, it would just be a matter of putting the truck in the right place.

Guest imported_Thriller

Um...I'd better wait to see whether you strike a deal with Kris first wink.gif Besides, I think that Lamar would risk a Manitoba winter to come box me about the ears if I made that deal...at least in part because the wagon wouldn't be going to Georgia.

I kind of have my heart set on one from the teens if I can get it. I e-mailed a MBCC member in the roster who has a couple of 1915 C-4s - he says there is already a line up forming to buy his trucks that aren't currently for sale, but he'll add me to the list.

There aren't a whole lot more in the BCA roster beyond Mel's 1916 and a few of the 4-SDs from the twenties.

• 2 weeks later...

I am wondering if you can possibly help me. I found a car in my tree grove this year and my husband wants to send it to the junk yard. I really am not sure what it is but it looks like someone could probably make good use out of this antique I would hate to just throw it away. Could you look at some pics and tell me what u think and if someone would be interested in it? Here is some info off the car

Fisher Body Corp

Detroit Mich

Job NO 10781

Model NO 26-27

Buick

885-986 Apr 28, 08

876-225 June 11, 01

921-963 May 19, 09

• 2 years later...

Well, everyone, I am going to jump into this talk head first. I found an early buick truck and I think that you may have helped me a little on identifying it. I could not get to the chasis and engine easily for detailed engine and frame numbers. I would like to identify it as it is nothing like I have seen before. The truck body is like a roadster, the engine is a 6 cylinder and has exposed valve springs and push rods, it looks as if it runs off of the mag, and has carbide (?) cowl lights and brass head lights.

The truck is in pretty good shape considering things, but the transmission is shot and the plates are all in pieces. How available are parts for this rig? Is this a rare truck with the body design? I would like feedback before I pursue this project any more. thanks Paul

Paul,

I might be going out on a limb, but I do not think the vehicle that you are looking at is a factory truck unless is was a commercial chassis from the 20's. All factory trucks from '10 to '23 were four cylinder models that I am aware of. An auction in Nebrask almost four years ago advertised a Buick Truck for sale, but from everything I could see it is not a factory truck, but a converted car. This was common in farm communities. Here is a picture of that truck. http://www.fowlkesrealtyandauction.com/images/dittrich-buick-truck.jpg If you can post some pictures we will be able to tell you what you are looking at. If you get the frame number Dave Corbin will be able to tell you exactly what it is.

Regards,

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)