1937 PACKARD vinly top parts????????????

oldstyle

Guest Trunk Rack

not sure what you are referring to. Have no clue what they did on the "soft" tops on the junior cars. On the Senior cars where they had "formal" tops, the top wasnt vinyl (vinyl tops did not exist then) It was leather.

On the Senior sedans with no formal top, only the "center" of the top was fabric; it was a rubberized canvas-like material.

Yes, there was a "trim" piece, but its function was ornamental. It was a "1/8" round" aluminum extrusion, nailed on after the top was nailed on and PRECISELY trimmed.

Obviously, you had to be VERY prcise when nailing the top material on, with rigid alignment of the nail-heads holding that material, or they would not be covered by the extrusion you speak of. Then the nail heads holding the extrusion on were ground off, any imperfections filled in, and then the extrusion painted body color.

If you are going for authenticity, note that there are still old grouches around who KNOW what the top material SHOULD be.

Again, are we referring to the center of the roof only, with the outsides being metal? Again that was a smooth rubberized canvas-like material on MOST production with SOME having a sort or ribbed texture. This is one of those deals where you wont make every "expert" happy.

For the FORMAL tops, there is a modern vinyl material avail. that looks EXACTLY and I mean EXACTLY like the orig. leather when the car was new.

When I re-did my formal top, it was in the catalogs to be used on 70's era Cads with formal tops, called ELK GRAIN. There IS a way us "old grouches" can tell it is not real leather, but that's my secret !

Thanks for all the great information. You are correct about the just the center of the roof having a fabric cover. That is what I was talking about. This is on a 110. The metal surround looked more like a metal track that encircled the fabric. Seems like there was some sort of "tar" involved with putting this cover on as well. If your sure about the metal being round bar,then thats what Ill go with.

I do want the original look. Ill take a look at that Elk grain fabic.

Thanks again for taking the time for such a detailed explanation.

Try Restoration Supply for the original type. If you want a modern tack strip that looks close to the original, there is one that is a two piece aluminum type which you can bend around the corners. The bottom piece screws on and holds the edges of the material and then the cover snaps over it.

Guest Trunk Rack

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldbuickone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the great information.......I do want the original look. Ill take a look at that Elk grain fabic. Thanks again for taking the time for such a detailed explanation. </div></div>

= = =

NO NO NO - DO NOT USE "Elk Grain" (the modern vinyl that is textured to LOOK like the same kind of REAL leather that Packards SENIOR division used on the "formal" tops such as town cars, formal sedans, etc".

Your "110" came out of Packard's JUNIOR Division production - an entirely separate production line in which NO parts are interchangeable with the Seniors. Might as well been a different make of car - NOT the same thing as GM was at in that era , with much interchangeability of many parts and production concepts.

I cannot recall with any degree of precision what the "center fabric insert" should look like on the JUNIOR series Packards. It is POSSIBLE they used the same stuff as Packard used on the CENTER of its "big" cars (that did not have full "formal" tops), but it sure as hell wasnt leather, and not anywhere the same texture/finish as that leather or its modern equiv.

Again, I do NOT know what I am talking about, as to the "JUNIOR" series Packards. Must be some guys in here who do & can help you out with competent advice.

P.S. And dont "rag" on me for calling them the "JUNIOR" cars. Wasnt my idea-I wasnt even born then ! That is the designation PACKARD MOTOR CAR COMPANY, 1580 EAST GRAND BLVD., DETROIT 32, MICHIGAN assigned to distinguish its VERY different product lines. Again, they cooked up that terminology at the time, not me. Should you have any complaints, suggest you write THEM..not ME!

"I'm thinking you mean the place in Ca-RS"

No, not them. Restoration Specialties in Windber, PA. The material is called sedan decking and comes in short or long grain. In the case of my 34 Packard it was almost an absolute dead correct match for the original material.

One more piece of advice, when you apply the top, make sure your shop is very warm, or better yet, you are outside in the sun. The fabric needs to be stretched tight. A friend installed his in a cold shop, and it was literally flapping in the wind as he drove. I did it again for him, warm day hot sun, then you can get it tight as a drum.Also, usually there are elongated holes stamped around the perimeter of the steel, under which is the wood for attachment. Originally, one end of this elongated hole was used to fasten top material (with tacks), the other end of the hole left for the metal trim piece attachement (screwed or nailed in countersunk holes, then finished as previously posted). Good luck.