83Riv 325-4L trany help

Guest northmn

Guest northmn

My car has been stored for 15 yrs.I changed the filter & fluid during the restoration.The trany performed flawlessly during test drive today for the first 1/2 hr or so,then when coming to a normal stop it would not come out of 2nd gear and then the engine would stop when I brought the car to a stop.It was like a standard trans when you left the clutch engaged in 2nd & stopped the car with the brake pedal.Also if I came to a very slow stop it would slowly go into 1st & come to a stop with the engine running normally.Also I have to push the gas pedal right to the floor before trany kicks down & the turbo lights come on long before this (about 1/2 pedal travel).The turbo seems to work right but not the transmission.I adjusted the kick down cable 1/2 way then fully out -it still stalls out.It seems to sift normally when starting off and accelerating normally.Can someone help.

Bob.

Sounds like you need to replace the torque converter solenoid. Those go bad in these cars and make the car jump when you slow down like stopping in a standard shifting car without using the clutch. Mine did this but only after driving the car around for a while. Part should cost about $50. Drop the pan on the trans and it's right there.

Tim M. what do you think?

Bob,

Jayson is right on with his diagnosis. I've replaced the TCC solenoid on three of the four 83-85's I've owned. I've never done the work myself (lack of room,) but it wasn't that expensive to have it done for me. You'll also have a chance to replace some of those dried gaskets and seals while you have the pan off.

Ed

Jayson,

Talked to Bob on the phone this evening and the TCC solenoid is what we came up with too.

Ed,

As far as no room goes, you do have to jack the car up to replace the TCC solenoid. By jacking it up, you'll have plenty of room to work on it! smile.gif

Tim

Tim,

Besides having a rather small garage (has anyone else noticed how small garages are in new house construction these days? Builders don't consider that some of us still own older cars. Had I of realized it when we built our house a couple of years ago, I would have had him add 3-4 more feet to the length of the garage,) I also have yet to invest in a good floor jack and some heavy duty jack stands. Besides, I like to spread the wealth when I have a chance. LOL

Ed

Guest northmn

Tim,Jayson & Ed,-Thanks,

I don't know what I'd do without you guys.Maybee a new solenoid will let the trany kick down to 1st & 2nd now.I'll take it a step at a time .I quite agree with the small garages these days , and I think I understand you about the jack -affair.My jack is almost worn out from this Riv.affair.

Bob.

Bob,

Until you can get the TCC solenoid replaced, you can still drive your car without suffering the symptoms you've described. Shifting into neutral will reset everything. As you approach a stop sign/stop light, shift into neutral as you're stopping. Complete the stop and everything will go back to "normal." Shift into gear when you're ready to go; the stall converter will be unlocked and you'll be on your way as usual. I drove one this way for a month or so before figuring out what the problem was.

Ed

Hey everyone just if your interested Bob I have an 85 T-Type that i parted out. it has a running engine and trans been sitting for 4 years due to frame rot. The motor has a brand new timeing belt installed frame broke on the drive home. I would love to have this engine and trans not go to the junk. Bob you can have it free i am in in Michigan not to far from you.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest northmn

Nathaniel-

Just happened to see your post.Thanks for the offer but I've got no room.I would think Jack Merkel Performance Engines should have no problem taking that engine off your hands.He told me there is a constant market for them.A grand national is a grand national.He can be found on the net.Boy -you've got quite a nice collection of Riv's their.