Fuel Injector

89reattaLNTHREE

Alright story of my life. I went to replace one of my fuel injectors which is slightly stuck open no problem getting fuel rail off everything came off like it should. Grab my box with the new injector from advanced auto open it and its the wrong injector. If you go to autozone.com and search under the 1989 reatta it will show the picture of the injector that i recieved in the box. I go back to the store they pull up a picture of what was supposed to be in the box they gave me. it matches what mine looks off the fuel rail. They pulled 8 boxes and all the same wrong injector. Went to autozone n they only have the wrong injector. So what happened was the supplier for both is BWD autos parts they mixed matched boxes and injectors so does anyone know where i can get one that is the correct long style injector for the 1989 reatta???

Guest simplyconnected

Just a word of caution: Your oxygen sensors sample your exhaust. If you don't have matched injectors, some injectors will produce rich exhaust, and the others will produce lean. It is VERY important to use a matched set of injectors. We do at the engine plant.

Dave Dare

There was a Post I believe last week, about fuel injectors.

The Fuel Injector Connection (770) 888-1662. The information on-line was very good. info@fuelinjectorconnection.com. I forget who Posted the information here. I haven't contacted them personally myself. Just FYI.

Found it. MIKE S Posted (Fuel injector utube videos) on 01/24/09

I had a leaky injector on my 90 convert and put in a rail I got at the salvage yard. I have the old rail. If you send me a pciture of your injector, I will send you all the ones that match it. Hopefully you will get at least one that works. You will also want to go to autopartsgiant.com or rockauto.com and get a set of O-rings. Doubtful the generic parts stores carry them.

Guest re-reatta

Is there an aftermarket injector available, like fiveomotorsports or bosch, who makes a replacement injector with a multiple hole spray pattern? I know they make them for other cars and trucks and they are supposed to me more efficient and produce more power when you stick your foot in it. Just wondering!!!

Guest simplyconnected

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 89reattaLNTHREE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well i cant even get a set let a lone one right now at least in fort wayne indiana so if anyone has an injector set or individual for sale for the c code motor let me know </div></div> Use your computer to shop around. A matched set of good injectors will pay for themselves and your catalytic converters will last longer.

Those injector test videos are proof positive. The newer technology is a VAST improvement. I believe it when folks say how much better their engines run with new-matched injectors. Your engine is a system, designed to burn air/fuel at 14.7:1 in ALL cylinders. Any deviation in any cylinder really messes with the whole system.

Dave

Wonder if the stock injectors have any calibration markings. Back in the day I had a Rochester FI in my B/P Corvette and then injection nozzles (constant flow) had letter markings W, X, & Y to indicate the flow group from lean to rich. All were made to the same blueprints but were individually flow chacked and matched before installation.

Stock FI flowed about 520 CFM but mine had been modified using the Grand Sport specs to nearly 900 CFM, on a small block it would wind to the moon. Keep in mind that in the early 70s, parts were avalailable and many people were pulling the FI off in favor of a Holley, bought several with distributer for $100.00.

Being a GMI student, I had a friend at Detroit Diesel/Allison (where the injector nozzles were made) who would send me nozzles that had too high a flow to fit the three groups and were considered scrap.

Incidently the Rochester use pressures of up to 300 psi and very small nozzles that would clog. Back then we just treated them like spark plugs and at the first sign of a misfire, would swap it out.

Really amazing now how crude the Rochester FI was but it worked well and would start instantly at 0F.

No. The low pressure fuel pump (engine driven) had a return line and the high pressure fuel pump was mounted under the plenium, not the tank, and was driven by the distributer. All lines were in relatively cool areas.

This was also a time of true 100+ octane racing gas that was somewhat more stable than the trash gas today. We knew of vapor lock and took steps to avoid it but it was not an issue.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest simplyconnected

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: padgett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wonder if the stock injectors have any calibration markings. Back in the day I had a Rochester FI in my B/P Corvette and then injection nozzles (constant flow) had letter markings W, X, & Y to indicate the flow group from lean to rich. </div></div>

Ford engine plant injectors are marked: +, -, or no marking. Using a plus or a minus has NO affect as long as you use ALL the same on your engine. Plus injectors don't run any richer because your computer regulates them for 14.7:1 f/air ratio. Simply replacing one injector invites problems for your O2 sensors, catalytic converters, and fuel economy & efficiency.

Vapor lock is a product of low or negative pressure (suction) and summertime temperatures. It happens much like cavitation. Injector fuel pumps run very high pressure starting from inside the tank, and most systems are recirculating. I have never heard of vapor lock in any injector system.

Dave

I would agree that current FI systems use high pressure in the tank pumps and have recirculation but the 57-65 Rochester used a conventional pump at the engine (my 63 had recirculation there) and a set ofhigh pressure/low volume (tiny copper tubes known as a "spider" because of the eight legs) and a high pressure (about 300 psi max) pump mounted under the plenium.

Don't recall any vapor lock but rerouted the large (3/8") feed pipes away from the block as common practise then. Would occasionally get a clogged injector - "constant flow", no moving parts in the injectors but a very small screen, mixture varied by pressure using a bypass valve & sprayed directly on the backside of the valve.

This mechanism was typical of jet engines of the time and also used (in a much simplified form) by Hilborn.