Newbie with 38 Mc Laughlin Limo

Guest Art  Williams

Guest Art  Williams

Hi,

I've just joined a couple of days ago. I have a Canadian built 1938 model 90 Limo. For those interested it was first registered in London on 16th. August 1938. Chassis No. 849330151. Engine No. 3418714. I only have the ownership history from 1948 when it was issued with a new registration book. I suspect it may have seen some action as a wartime staff car but have no way of verifying this. I rescued the car from the going to the boneyard in '81. It had been set on fire by vandals and the division had contained most of the damage to the driver's area. Initially my garage wasn't big enough to house the car so it sat outside for a couple of years under a tarpaulin and I worked on it (British weather permiting) doing mostly mechanical bits. I had it sand blasted and primed and then it took 2nd place in my affections to a 1947 Jaguar which I naively thought I could complete sooner. The Buick is physically so much better than the Jaguar (thicker metal & less rust) that I regret not giving it the priority.

Art

Guest ZondaC12

So what's goin on now? Workin on it? Either way post up some pictures!!!! grin.gif I know I wanna see, Im sure others would like to as well! Those Limited are just nuts, I hope I can see one in person sometime, theyre obviously just huge, my Special pales in comparison length-wise!

But, welcome to a GREAT Buick forum!!! Youll find plenty of information here. Lots of really experienced, really knowledgeable people. Put your feet up and enjoy your stay smile.gif

Guest Art  Williams

Mark,

Thanks for the welcome and the link to the 37/38 club. I thought I read in the archives here that it had ceased to exist. I was given a 37/38 club decal by a guy I met in Canada in 1983. I still have it intact. There's a lot of reading to catch up on.

Regards

Art

Guest ZondaC12

WOW!!!!!!!! Why are those there? "ceased to exist" this have anything to do with it? Anyone know why the club is gone?? Hmm.

All I do know is Ill probably sit down this weekend and spend a few HOURS goin through the tech index!!! Wow what a list, that's gonna come in real handy haha.

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Art:

The engine number you give of 3,418,714 was built about the last of September 1937 at Flint. Production at McLaughlin would normally be about 6-8 weeks later in Canada, or around Dec. 1, 1937.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Art,

Welcome from one 38 Mclg Limited to another! You are a little too far away to come over for afternoon tea but sure would like to see more of your Big Bertha there. Whats her current status?

Hope you are watering that garage - it needs to grow!

Best

David

Oh yes and TOTALLY agree on the Jaguar comment. Lovely cars elegantly formed from a kind of prerust rust which one could perhaps describe as metal in transition.

Standing them side by side is like comparing a kids cardboard box cubbyhouse to Fort Knox.. very nice looking cardboard boxes though..especially the Mark 4s/ SS saloons ... but thats for another forum.

Guest Art  Williams

David,

The garage was replaced by a nice brick structure 40' x 20'. Her currrent state could be described as 'slumbering'.

It's too cold here just now to do anything out there

Guest jules greenway

Art

Too cold? surely not!! I've been beavering away away on the 8-90 all through our unusually wintery weather here in Norfolk! mind you I do not have quite as much to do as you! we're pressing on because we want to get the car registered with the DVLA and see what age related number they give us. Good luck with the Limo it looks great

Jules

Guest Art  Williams

Hi Jules

Is your car a Canadian built model? As a winter project decided to rebuild the headlamps. I had the reflectors re-silvered 20 years ago and had removed the bulholders at that time. I don't recall that part of the exercise but I found refitting nigh on impossible getting the 3 sprung pins back into the reflector. I also noticed there are differences in the reflectors and the lenses. One lens has the number 920946 and the other is 920947 so I assume they are handed. One reflector has two horizontal creases. One just above the centre line and the other 1" above that. The other reflector has the slightest af creases, again just above the centre line but not going all the way across the parabola. Does any of this seem familiar to anyone. The other quetion I have: Are the seals available for these lamps aand how many. I only have the remains of one cork seal in a metal retainer. Are there more? Does anyone have any pictures?

Being a right drive car the lens should different to LH drive so to direct light the other way (that is a different part number). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left_Hand_Drive#Headlamps_and_other_lighting_equipment

The 1928-1941 Master Parts book pg 33 lists lens as

920491 1937-38-LH

920492 1937-38-RH

923427 1939-LH

923428 1939-RH

My "Catalogue of Genuine GM Holden Parts for Buick" (Australian right hand drive cars) lists

918805 1936 LH

918806 1936 RH

920946 1937

920491 1938 LH

920492 1938 RH

923427 1939 LH

923428 1939 RH

For some reason only one lens is listed for 1937. All others from 1932 to 1939 list LH & RH lens. I suspect this in a error in the catalog and what you have a is a set of 1937 lens.

Using 1937 lens in a 1938 model year car built late 1937, as Dave's post above, probably not that unusal.

Guest Art  Williams

Hi 1939 Buick,

This car was part of the John Wilton mixed fleet of 1937, 38 & 39 funeral cars in Belfast, Ireland and it's probable that the lens was switched there It's a shame it doesn't give a side designation tho'.

I've attached a pic of the '37 & '38s lined up in the '60s

lastscan-1-1.jpg.

Where are those car's now !!!

No 39's

Are some of those in the centre convertible's ?

One look to have P1000 head lights

Going by odd - even part numbers

920946 RH

920947 LH

Art

Thats great that you have photos from its history. Assume then that you know the orginal registration number for the car as well?

Do you have the the firewall id plate? Something that elludes me for my 90L.

I havent had the lights apart yet for anything other than a new bulb but if you tell me what to look for I can get some pics done and have them uploaded.

That photo..so many 38'& 37s in the one place before. Getting a little light headed...

Guest Art  Williams

The headlamps are a French Marchal conversion. They are slightly smaller than the Lucas P100s. I'm afraid they don't quite 'do it' for me. I believe there were 39s in the fleet. The guy who gave me the photograph owns the Russion ammbassador's car from 1939. Three of the cars shown were converted to hearses locally.

Guest jules greenway

Art

No, our 8-90 is a Flint car although it came from Canada and the two previous owners thought it was a McLaughlin!-it's interesting how misinformation can get passed around!You can get the Headlight seals from Bob's AutomobiliaJules 

post-55807-143138041842_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Good morning,

I'm hoping all of you Buick experts won't mind helping out a Canadian girl with a monsterous task ahead of her.

My boss owns what I believe is a 1937 McLaughin Limousine. The car originally belonged to Alberta Premier William Aberhart and served as his government vehicle. We see this car as a significant piece of Alberta's history and we're planning to have it restored to its orgininal splendor. With such a small but dedicated staff in our offices here in Calgary, the daunting task of getting this restoration rolling has fallen to me (definitely not a car expert!). The car is in rather rough shape. The majority of the body seems to be there and seems to have held up well over the years. The car is no longer on its original frame and the engine and interior were torn out at some point along the way.

Though I'm enthusiastic about this project, I realize enthusiasm alone won't restore the vehicle. I'm hoping someone out there will have some great photos of an original 1937 McLauglin limo that I can have a look at, or perhaps someone will direct me to some other resources. I'm also hoping someone might be able to recommend a company to do the actual restoration work. I think I've found the place I'd like to go with, but I'd like to ensure that I've done enough research before I go ahead with a company for such an extensive and expensive project. Any other advice that can be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you all in advance for your knowledge and generousity,

Erin

Guest imported_Thriller

Erin,

Check out the McLaughlin Buick Club of Canada - I know there is a fellow in Ontario who is involved with the club who has a '37 limo. Once I'm at home tonight, I can send him an e-mail and ask if he would help you out. At minimum, I'm sure he'd provide you with some photos.

Having only the body will make this a daunting project, however, everything is possible with time and money. Have you been in touch with the Reynolds Alberta Museum in Wetaskiwin? They have a restoration shop and being in Alberta may appreciate working on a piece of the province's heritage.

Good luck.