'56 Olds Dual-Range Hydramatic

supersix

Guest imported_pete324rock

should not be to hard to find info on this subject to verify this but the 88 came with the dual range tranny from the previous year and the rest of the models had the new jet-a-way ,as you have said.The reason for this was a huge fire that destroyed the transmission plant,so a scramble was made to outfit cars with trannys,and the result was that many different brands had different trannys

The fire in the Hydra-Matic plant would not have been the reason that the base 1956 88's were equipped with the old unit instead of the Jetaway. The fire was during the 1953 model year and by the time the 1954's were built, it was rebuilt and Oldsmobiles, Pontiacs, and Cadillacs were once again being equipped with H-M instead of Dynaflow and Powerglide. Whatever the reason, those 1956 buyers who had the old H-M were spared all the problems that the first-year Jetaways had.

Guest imported_pete324rock

Yes you are right.But the reason that the base '56's had the old trans and the rest had the new jetaway,I can't seem to find an explanation.The old hydramatic was the preferred one for being tough.Are you looking for more info? I was searching the H.A.M.B.-jalopy journal for an answer,lots of hydramatic talk there. They used to be used in tanks-tough as nails they say.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pete324rock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes you are right.But the reason that the base '56's had the old trans and the rest had the new jetaway,I can't seem to find an explanation.The old hydramatic was the preferred one for being tough.Are you looking for more info? I was searching the H.A.M.B.-jalopy journal for an answer,lots of hydramatic talk there. They used to be used in tanks-tough as nails they say. </div></div>

I was looking for verification that this was indeed true. I never knew this to be the case until recently. I would guess that the reason for this was to deplete the excess inventory of the Dual-Range units by using them in the entry-level cars, although no one has confirmed that they were also used in Pontiacs.

• 2 weeks later...

pontiac built just over 17,000 of the 53 models with the chevy powerglide trans because of the hydra-matic plant fire. pontiac buyers in 1956 had their choice of either the dual-range unit or the strato-flight unit (jetaway). i remember the story i heard from a pontiac employee who was there at the time, a pontiac engineer stated that the 56 316 v8 made 20 more horses than the 55 287, but that the jetaway trans took 20 more horses to operate than the dual-range hydra-matic trans.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pontiac1953</div><div class="ubbcode-body">pontiac built just over 17,000 of the 53 models with the chevy powerglide trans because of the hydra-matic plant fire. pontiac buyers in 1956 had their choice of either the dual-range unit or the strato-flight unit (jetaway). i remember the story i heard from a pontiac employee who was there at the time, a pontiac engineer stated that the 56 316 v8 made 20 more horses than the 55 287, but that the jetaway trans took 20 more horses to operate than the dual-range hydra-matic trans. </div></div>

That is certainly believable that the Strato-Flight unit would use more horsepower. It was always my opionion that the Dual-Range was the better of the two transmissions, albeit a little rough shifting. Was the Dual-Range unit available in all '56 Pontiac models?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest snuphysolds

The 88 was standard with the Dual Range, and the Jetaway was an extra cost option. The Super 88 and 98 used the Jetaway as standard. HOWEVER there were some Super 88's (and maybe 98's) with the dual-range transmission because I had a Super 88 with the dual range unit. It was an early production car and one reason I bought it (used) was because of the transmission. I had heard of too many horrer stories of the jetaway. I now have another '56 Super 88 but it has the jetaway.

Ed

From advertisements I've seen and what I've read about the '56 models, only the 98 came standard with an automatic transmission and it was the Jetaway. The 88 and Super 88 came standard with syncromesh and both Hydra-Matic transmissions were optional with the Jetaway being the more expensive option.

Guest snuphysolds

Thanks for the corrections Rustysheperd. I was going from memory and your comments caused me to do some digging in my files. My 1956 sales brochure indicates the standard transmission is standard on the 88, and the Jetaway is standard on the Super 88 and 98. However, the Dealers Data Book does show the Hydramatic Super Drive as an option on both the 88 and Super 88, with the Jetaway also being an option on both the 88 and Super 88, with a note that it is standard on the 98. I bet a Super 88 with a standard transmission would be a very rare car.