1909-10 Buick????

West Peterson

Sorry West.I can`t recognice this as a Buick at all when looking in my 70 Years of Buick.Most of Buick at that time seems to have half elliptic spring exept for some with a 2 cyl.engine.The rear fenders looks a bit different too.But I should never say never.

Leif in Sweden.

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear West:

1907 Model H, only 36 built. A Jackson, Michigan, plant car. Note the little dog-box at the running board and rear fender intersection.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear West:

There might be, but it would only be something incidental, like near each other or some other oddity. So far as I know, no other connection, other than being in the same town at about the same time.

BTW, if someone ever tries to convince you that Bill Durant wasn't a hustler, there were 543 cars built there that year. Buick shipped those cars to 36 states, Hawaii, and 9 more foreign countries on 4 continents !!

I have the frame numbers, matched engine numbers,the ALAM plate numbers, the date started, date shipped and dealer/customer name for ALL of them.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Dear West and Dave.In my Buick book it tells that 1911 Buick was the first with front doors.I also wondering about the rear door with a rear door hinge,most of Buick those years have front hinge on rear doors.When looking at Jackson cars, almost every one have rear door hinge at rear doors and some of there models also seems to have this dog leg in front of rear fender.

It seems that most of Jackson cars have 3/4 or full elliptic springs at front this time,when Buick seems to have 1/2 elliptic springs in most of there cars.

Skanned a photo of 1907 Buick H from my Seventy years of Buick book by G.H.Dammann.

Leif in Sweden.

post-31268-143138039993_thumb.jpg

You have named the reasons why Jackson was first thought of, however, the fenders do not match Jackson. Also, the rear of the body doesn't "kick up" just aft of the rear door.

I have found several photos of Buicks with 3/4 elliptic springs (Usually the Model F), but, as you say, the front opening door always perplexed me. But, being one of 36 built, it may have just enough differences to cause question.

Dave

Do you have any photos of the Model H? The one above doesn't even have the 3/4 elliptic springs.

The above photo is the only one I have in my book on 1907 Buick mod.H.There are no mor photos from model H at all from 1907 to 1911.When looking in the book Buick cars at that time with 3/4 or full elliptic springs 1907-1909 are model F and G and in 1910 only model F.And there are no front doors before 1911 in my book.

Leif in Sweden.

West. When looking at your photo, the front door looks a bit strange,it is`t a door handle on it what I can see.Just wonder if this door is home made as well as the part in front of the door.The line between the front and rear door looks a bit strange too.

Leif in Sweden.

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear West:

One thing for sure, it's not an F. If it was an F, there would be a place for the crank on the side of the car shown and there's none there.

You would also see the flywheel hanging down in the center of the car from the angle of the photo.

Regards, Dave Corbin

I would venture to guess that is a false door that does not even open. The outboard shifter and brake lever are in the way. You most likely had to enter and exit from the left side, which was not uncommon in many makes of early autos. Dandy Dave!

• 14 years later...
On 1/30/2009 at 11:59 PM, West Peterson said:

I had this in the Mystery Vehicle section, and don't think I had much luck there. Does this look like a 1909-10 Buick Model F? Note the fully-elliptic or 3/4 elliptic front springs.

post-33613-143138039724_thumb.jpg

1910 Jackson Model 35 Touring (added front doors)

Jackson.jpg

• Like 2