1939 Dodge D11 sedan weight???

Guest dbnz

I have had this one a while, I just updated the profile.

I have to get rid of a load of dodge 4 stuff soon as my father is getting off the farm.

The real question is will the diesel caliber tow the 39?.

The diesel Caliber has an unbraked rating of 2640lbs/1200kg compared to 1000lbs/450kg for the petrol Calibers

Not far or fast, not hilly and no common sense!!

I see according to the Dodge story the weight is 2995 lbs so should be OK?

I will take it quietly!!!

Thanks

• 1 month later...
Guest Hugh32

Different models, different weights.

I copied the text from the site below. Hugh32

http://www.autogallery.org.ru/pothers.htm

1939 Dodge: D11 Luxury Liner Special

and D11 Luxury Liner DeLuxe

Year of production: 1939

Overall production: 79600 units (Special - 71000, DeLuxe - 8600)

4x2 rearwheeldrive frontmotor car

Body modifications:

D11 Luxury Liner Special, wheelbase - 117,0 inches:

2-passenger Business Coupe, 2905 pounds, 756 US dollars, 12300 built

2-door Sedan, 2955 pounds, 815 US dollars, 26700 built

4-door Sedan, 2955 pounds, 855 US dollars, 32000 built

D11 Luxury Liner DeLuxe, wheelbase - 117,0 inches:

2-passenger Business Coupe, 2940 pounds, 803 US dollars, 630 built

2-door Fastback Sedan, 3010 pounds, 865 US dollars, 270 built

2-door Trunkback Sedan, 2990 pounds, 895 US dollars, 1585 built

4-door Fastback Sedan, 3045 pounds, 905 US dollars, 270 built

4-door Trunkback Sedan, 3035 pounds, 915 US dollars, 5545 built

5-passenger Town Coupe by Hayes, 3075 pounds, 1055 US dollars,

approximately 300 built (by another source - under 100)

2-4-passenger Rumbleseat Coupe, 2985 pounds, 860 US dollars, ?0 built

134-inch wheelbase 7-passenger Sedan, 3440 pounds, 1095 US dollars, ?0 built

134-inch wheelbase Limousine, 3545 pounds, 1185 US dollars, ?0 built

Engine: 87 hp/?rpm, Straight 6 - cyl, 217,8 cid

Bore/Stroke: 3,25/4,38 inches

Compression ratio ? : 1

Length: ?mm, width: ?mm, height: ?mm

Clearance: ?mm

Carburettor: ?

Gearbox: 3 speed + back

Maximal speed: ? km/h

Tyres: ?x? inches

Fuel tank capacity: ? L

Fuel consumption: ? L/100km

Special and DeLuxe differ mainly in interior trim.

Guest imported_Bill-W

The numbers you quote for the D11 Luxury Liner DeLuxe model are not correct. They are for the Canadian-built D13 DeLuxe Six, which was built only as business coupe, 2-door sedan, 2-door touring sedan, 4-door sedan and 4-door touting sedan.

Would like to know where that site got their prices from as Dodge D11 did not offer a trunk-back sedan and a flat-back sedan.

Anyway, here are the correct prices and production numbers for the D11 DeLuxe :

2-door Business Coupe - $803, 2,940# - 12,800

2-door, 4-pass Coupe - $860, 2,985# - 4,712

2-door Town Coupe (Hayes) - $1,055, 3,075# - 363

2-door Sedan - $865, 3,010# - 17,608

4-door Sedan - $905, 3,045# - 80,169

7-pass Sedan - $1,095, 3,440# - 1,332

7-pass Limousine - $1,185, 3,545# - 142

Chassis - 875

Total D11 DeLuxe - 118,001

All D11 models were on a 117" wheelbase with the exception of the 7-passenger models which were on a 134" wheelbase.

To complete the 1939 Dodge production figures, below are the figures for the export/Canadian D12 model. Models with * were built only in the United States and not built or sold in Canada.

2-door Business Coupe - 559

Rumble Seat Coupe * - 81

2-door Sedan - 439

2-door Touring Sedan - 559

4-door Sedan - 677

4-door Touring Sedan - 4,594

Convertible Coupe * - 74

Convertible Sedan * - 13

Station Wagon * - 91

Commercial Sedan * - 131

7-pass. Sedan * - 570

Chassis - 1,393

Total D12 - 9,181

The D12 and D13 models were based on the Plymouth with a 114" wheelbase with the convertible sedan at 117" and the 7-pass sedan at 134".

Bill

Vancouver, BC

Hi Bill, What is the difference between the D13 and the others?

I know the D11 was a dodge styled car and the D12 was basically a rebadged Plymouth with the humped back, but am not sure what distinguished a D13?

Guest Hugh32

From Oldtimer picture gallery.(yahoo-google etc)

Guest elmo39

dbnz i have towed cars around the same weight including two D11'S and three 54 Plymouths , with cars ranging from a PC Vauxhall Cresta to a Aussie Chrysler valiant ,( you being in NZ will know where i'm talking about ) one of them was over the Taupo hills , i think you could call them reasonably steep, with no problems , if your Caliber can't tow someting in that weight range i would look at changing it . just joking but have you thought a bout fitting a tow bar to the Viper.

Guest elmo39

dbnz i have towed cars around the same weight including two D11'S and three 54 Plymouths , with cars ranging from a PC Vauxhall Cresta to a Aussie Chrysler valiant ,( you being in NZ will know where i'm talking about ) one of them was over the Taupo hills , i think you could call them reasonably steep, with no problems , if your Caliber can't tow someting in that weight range i would look at changing it . just joking but have you thought a bout fitting a tow bar to the Viper.

Guest imported_Bill-W

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbnz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Hi Bill, What is the difference between the D13 and the others?

I know the D11 was a dodge styled car and the D12 was basically a rebadged Plymouth with the humped back, but am not sure what distinguished a D13?

</div></div>

A Canadian D12 Six was the same as the P7 Plymouth Roadking (one each of inside sun visor, windshield wiper, taillight and no front door vent wings or arm rests) while the D13 DeLuxe Six was the same as the P8 Plymouth DeLuxe (two of the previous as well as vent wings and arm rests). The DeLuxe also had a fancier sub-series, the D13S DeLuxe Special (fancier interiors). All three were offered in business coupe, 2-door and 4-door flatback sedans and 2-door and 4-door touring sedans.

No D12 or D13 LWB sedans or convertibles. The Canadian 1939 Plymouth was offered in the same body styles and equipment as the Canadian Dodge in P7 Plymouth Six, P8 Plymouth DeLuxe Six and P8S Plymouth Custom Six series. Both DeLuxe and Custom also offered a LWB sedan.

The Canadian D11 Custom Six came as a business coupe, victoria coupe (basically the business coupe with two fold up seats in the space behind the front seat), 2-door and 4-door sedans, plus the LWB sedan and limousine.

The U.S. export D12 was offered in all Plymouth body styles including convertible coupe and convertible sedan. Not sure how the interior trim was laid out, though.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

Guest imported_Bill-W

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hugh32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

From Oldtimer picture gallery.(yahoo-google etc)

</div></div>

The errors for the 1939 Dodge come from Jerry Heasley's book on US car production figures. In it he quotes figures for the D11 Luxury Liner Special and the D13 but there are NO figures for the D11 DeLuxe. The same error was repeated in the Standard Catalog of American Cars and Collectible Automobile magazine's article on the 1939 Chrysler Corporation cars.

The W.P.C. Club publication carried an article on the 1939 Dodges and listed production for ALL series, D11 Special, D11 DeLuxe, D12 and D13. That is the source of my information.

The Oldtimer Picture Gallery, I am afraid, has made up some information. The D11 did not come in either a flatback or trunkback sedan. It had but one 4-door sedan and one 2-door sedan - and both were fastback sedans.

From my copies of Red Book, Blue Book and Branhams of the era -

D11 Luxury Liner Special : 117.0" wheelbase -

Business Coupe : $756, 2905#

2-door Sedan : $815, 2955#

4-door Sedan : $855, 2995#

D11 Luxury Liner DeLuxe : 117.0" wheelbase -

Business Coupe : $803, 2940#

Victoria Coupe (2 rear aux. seats) : $860, 2985#

2-door Sedan : $865, 3010#

4-door Sedan : $905, 3045#

Town Coupe (Hayes body) : $1055, 3075#

D11 Luxury Liner DeLuxe : 134.0" wheelbase -

4-door LWB Sedan, 7-pass : $1095, 3440#

4-door limousine, 7-pass : $1185, 3545#

Bill

Vancouver, BC

Thanks Bill, Concerning the trim, My D11 has a nicely pleated tan leather seats with angled stitching at the tops of the seat, all the door panels etc are leather as well, I have not seen any pictures of US cars with that trim (not that I have seen that many pictures anyway).

D12 seats I have from another car are leather pleated but not as nice as my D11, on the inside of the seat was written D12-4D RB Blue and ANX- KDX.

There are probably more 39 Dodge vehicles in NZ than other years. I heard a story that there was a ship loaded with the export cars and the call came for the ship to join the war so they were promptly unloaded at the nearest port which was Bluff in the South Island couple of hours from where I live, not sure if the story is true though.

Guest imported_Bill-W

In Canada and the U.S. cloth seats were the norm until vinyl came on the scene, except for convertibles and station wagons which used leather. I am not surprised cars shipped to New Zealand used leather. Tastes "down under" leaned more toward British than American, and British cars used leather on their car seats.

British cars shipped to Canada in the 1930's and 1940's used leather on the interior and not cloth. My great uncle had a 1950 Morris Oxford, maroon with a leather interior. A nice little car, with unibody construction, torsion bar suspension and Lockheed brakes with dual wheel cylinders on the front wheels. Sounds an awful like a description for a Chrysler built ten years later!

I would take the bit about a load of Dodges being dumped in New Zealand with a grain of salt. Production of 1939 models came to an end in early August, 1939, and war was declared on Germany in September. There was a lull before troops were shipped off to Europe - need time to sign them up, train them, get all the necessary gear together, etc.

I suspect 1939 Dodges were common as 1939 was the last full year cars were exported. Some 1940 models were shipped. They were undoubtedly treated with better care than the 1938 models as everyone knew they were to be the last until the war was over. I can remember 1942 models when I was a kid in the 1950's - they seemed to have survived the time better than the 1940-41 models.

And there is that "KDX" descriptor! Export models were classified as either CKD (Completely Knocked Down) or KDX. The "X" stands for export, undoubtedly, but "KD"?

Would love to see some photos of your D11.

Sure, Here are a couple of pictures, I will take some of the interior and seats when I am next with the car. Your comment about the English influence make sense. I found leather everywhere inside unusual, the D12 from memory had vinyl doors, I will see what code is under my seats.

Fortunately I have just brought a set of headlights as to me the sealed beam units really detract form the look of the car although many here in NZ have been fitted with the conversion units. Now I just need the bumper overiders and park lights which are rear here.

post-44765-14313805215_thumb.jpg

post-44765-143138052153_thumb.jpg

post-44765-143138052157_thumb.jpg

Attached is an interior picture, I am interested to know what my steering wheel is? I have seen one US car with a wheel like this, most are different.

Also the black seat is the D12 seat which must have originally be a dark blue, that has darkened with age and the brown seat is from my D11. There has been vinyl added to the top, this is the same style as original design but has been roughly done.

Thinking about Bills comments about the British taste, it is a very British looking interior, presumably the car was exported to the UK so it may have been the same spec for the colonies as well.

post-44765-143138052864_thumb.jpg

post-44765-143138052866_thumb.jpg

post-44765-143138052869_thumb.jpg

Guest elmo39

dbnz your steering wheel looks just the same as what is on my 39 DeSoto apart from the centre fitting , do you still have the sealed beam conversion and is it for sale, it is what i have been looking for my DeSoto, i have no choice but to go that way all the tubs and fittings were rusted out on mine and 39 Desoto's are pretty thin on the ground here , i have been trying every where since getting the car about 12 years to get the originals with no luck so am going to convert to seal beams , originality does not concern me to much (it would be nice )as the car is going to be a driver not for show

Guest elmo39

dbnz i forgot to mention your park lights ,if that is them between the headlight and the grill , they are not original equipment , the optinal extra park lights on the D11 were mounted on the top of the fender/guards,also i have parted out 2-3 D11's as the body and most mechanicals are the same as the DeSoto , i have a few parts left ,not a lot but they include an almost complete set of side mouldings , they came of a car that had been on fire but would polish up good i have already polished the windshield insert and it is like new.

Hi Elmo, Sorry I sold my lights on Trademe for $10, the guy who brought then off me really just wanted the lights so if you PM me I will give you his email.

I really dislike the look of the sealed beam units and was blessed to be able to buy the buckets and reflectors and the lenses from Ausy last week, I did not like my chances of finding them and am yet to receive them. So keep your eyes open, you just never know.

The basic trim I have, including what appears to be spare either coupe or two door rear trim, I would be keen for the trim along the top and sides of the hood (bonnet) if you had that in good condition?

My lights I know are not original and I will remove them.