V12 Valve Removol Tool

Paul K.

I have read here the Ford valve/guide removal tool will work on the Lincoln V12s. Is there a Lincoln tool? Where can it be purchased? Looking at the repair manual it looks like one could be fabricated or modified from another type of tool or pry bar?

I finally got the head off and am ready to replace the burnt valve in my 41. In one of the many boxes of parts that came with my car, I have two styles of valve guides (new) the split type and the one piece type. Also I have some mushroom tipped valves. My car has split type guides installed. Common sense says to put a split one back in cause that is what is in there now. Thanks for any help you can offer.

I too, would like to know if that "squeeze-scissor" type valve guide tool is available even tho it may not work any better than the "bar" type on the really stuck guides.

The one piece and 2 piece guides along with the straight stem/mushroom valves are totally interchangeable so it really makes no difference what type you use. If you are only going to change just the burnt valve I'd use the type that's in the engine. The only advantanges to using the one piece guide and the straight stem valve arrangement is that you have a positive O'ring seal for the intakes and stuck guides can be removed easier by removing the retainer locks and pulling the valve out to gain access to the top of the guide.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Lancaster valve spring lifter tool that appears identical to the one currently on Ebay (#130282666754). It has a ratchet that holds the business end open after the handle has been compressed. I sort of recall my father using it on a flathead 6. Will it work on an HV-12?

Dave

post-31572-143138039094_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_V12Bill

I had a valve spring compressor like that when I was about 14 years old. I think I paid $1 for it at Pep Boys and it was stamped, light grade steel. There wasn't a lot of mechanical advantage in the tool and was a tight squeese to compress it. I think a bar type spring compressor with a fulcrum welded onto the bar would work very good for a Lincoln. The Ford block seems to have a little more overhang in the intake tube area than the Lincoln block and the plain bar works better on the Ford than the Lincoln.

Bill, you are so right about the Ford bars not working as well on the V12. I have found that placing a piece of flat stock between the "knee" of the bar and the block ( above the valves) and gripping it with the bar keeps the angle where the bar enters the grooves on the guide such that the bar doesn't tend to slip out when pulling the guides down.

Guest imported_V12Bill

Dee, I have used a 3/8" drive socket bar or a piece of 1/2" pipe the same way. If I had any flat stock it would have been better cause it wouldn't roll on me.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest helmsville

Hey Dee, i thought the best tool was a chisel and a great big hammer!!!!! and i almost forgot ten skinned nuckel's , Just kiddin. Chris