90 Wagon, value, opinons

Guest imported_MrEarl

Guest imported_MrEarl

Considering a 1990 Estate Wagon, Black exterior with woodgrain, tan leather interior, good headliner, 80,000 mile, well maintained southern car. Haven't viewed yet.

What's it worth and would like to hear opinions of the mechanical aspects of the car. I assume it has the 307 Olds engine. Only ever driven one, and was not impressed with get up and go. Any typical problems? Any particular questions to ask.

Oh, and what kind of gas mileage can be expected.

I love those last few years of that period of estate wagon.

I have come close to buying one but never pulled the trigger. Heard there might be some electrical gremlins on them after a few years, sap the battery so look for tell tale signs of wiring hanging down, driveway type repairs under the hood.

I think by 1990 they had the small motor/ overdrive transmission issues resolved but from the onset of the overdrive, they had overheating issues, transmissions giving out prematurely.

Check for an aftermarket trans cooler and if you purchase it, and it does not have one - then I would install one for insurance.

Anyone else? Bill Stoneberg had a reliable one but I think it was an 87.

Mr Earl,

Did they ever put a throttle body on those cars, or did they stick with carbs until they were dropped?

If it has a throttle body, it might be a great daily driver. With a throttle body, you might coax 20-23 MPG out of it on the highway.

Since you are in the south, also pay attention to the plastic woodgrain. If the sun has killed it, you can replace the woodgrain, but it would be expensive.

Good luck!

Mr. Earl, my mom had 2 cars with 307, '82 LeSabre and '85 Riv, the only issues I remember were leaking valve covers, they got decent mileage, around 25 MPG, my Brother Chris also had a '90 Estate Wagon with the 307, he got from my Dad, didn't have any engine issues, just body rust, same as the ones mom had. I sent Chris the link to this thread, but today is his Birthday, and he didn't respond with anything to say, but yesterday, he said look for some early '80s LeSabre/Electra's with 350 Buick engines for some reason, he likes 3800s and Buick 350s, hmmm, So do I! So do most of us! I have no idea what to tell you as far as value, they are far and few between anymore, it's like a corvette guy once said to me "there's an ass for every seat" whatever you feel it's worth to you, I guess.

Hey there friend. Having owned several models of these big Buicks I feel confident to say DRIVE THE CAR BEFORE DOING ANYTHING.

I had a 78 electra with the Buick 350 that I never should have bought. It was essentially dead but I was too blind to see. Then I had a 79 Lesabre Estate Wagon which with 99K was a great car. Never should have sold it. Then I had a 85 Estate Wagon with the 307 that was sold to me as a beaten car. I had to put a rebuilt trranny in but the car ran good. A little soft on power but I liked it a lot. THEN I got my sisters 90 Electra estate wagon. UGH! Finally sent it to a junkyard it was that bad.

As you know I just got this 78 Estate Wagon with the Buick 350. I have not had a chance to get under it to check the rear axle but I know it has posi. And I can say without a doubt that I would never own another 307 UNLESS I had a Olds 403 (in stock) to drop in there.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest imported_MrEarl

Never went up to look at it and now I don't have the change in my pocket to buy it.

Thanks everybody for your input. I really like the pre 90's wagons.

Buick, unlike today, had many fully "flagshipped" cars to offer the buying public. This fully trimmed Estate Wagon sold for close to $30,000. There was the Reatta and the Riviera. There was also the Park Avenue I believe.

wink.gif so you didn't like the performance of Snowflake?

Cheers Dyna

PS: I think the super thing with one of those would be to get the LT1 wagon from 94/96 and craft the whole power train on to the old wagon then you would get decent MPG and power to make it race..

Dyna, it would be easier, and less expensive to have the overdrive transmission beefed up, and find and drop in an Olds 403, BUT the hard part is finding a decent set of rear end gears. I believe the 90 is pushing all that weight through a 2.43 drive ratio, and unless you could find a 3.06 or thereabouts, the car will be lackluster.