cd player ina a 1990 reatta

Guest daveagain909

Guest daveagain909

just looking and going to buy a 1990 reatta convertible. but was told that the cd player (factory) has a CD stuck in it. The seller told me that someone called and asked if the cd worked, so he went out a stuck a cd in it The player pulled the CD in just like expected and then all of a sudden it stopped working and the light that was originally on went out and there is no electronic response at all in the dc player. It is stuck in and appears to have no power now to the cd. Does anyone think this could be a blown fuse? do they have a fuse specifically to the CD Player? the radio works fine but I am not sure about the tape player. but I know I will not put a tape in it because I have heard many stories about tapes getting stuck and then the radio will not play. Any thoughts? Has anyone ever had this problem? will be getting this car monday.

Didnt get a CD option in my car - $65 to fix one aint bad at all so if I buy a STH unit on ebay for $30-$40 then I could have it fixed and would cost around $100 total, give or take a few bucks. But I would lose my little storage cubby wouldnt I?

But the Tape player actually works! I expected to have my tape eaten/lost so I used something old I didnt care for. The auto-reverse is flaky tho...I just flip the tape instead.

Be aware that as Jim told me there are a few more things you need than just the tape player to add one to a car that never had it:

1) wiring harness with two connectors for CD

2) plastic tray that holds the cd (cannot be seen)

3) bracket that the tray bolts into (ditto)

4) plastic bezel around CD and smaller tray beneath

5) (to be complete) the holder that fits into the armrest compartment with space for 2 CDs.

Since there are better options than the factory CD player available today, this should only be done if you really want to.

With GM it is rarely easy.

Guest steveskyhawk

Reattatude,

If you really want the CD option it wont be impossible but it wont be easy. If you would like one stop shopping call Mike at buickreattaparts.com. He has everything or knows where to get it. Ebay and Jim Finn may also have what you need. I have cars with and without CD players and i prefer the mp3 player wired into the stock radio. OEM CD is more work than it is worth IMHO.

Hmmm...sounds like a PITA to me. As the tape deck is working for now I can slap an adapter in there and play music from my cellphone.

If the tape deck dies on me, then will regroup and find an alternative.

SO theres a special CD slot insert for the console case, mine holds tapes. My Roadmaster console holds tapes or CDs however the stereo in that car does not have a CD option either. I would just have to replace the radio/tape for another radio/CD which show up at auctions pretty often.

The tape adapter/phone thing works decent for car stereo. which is never going to compare to spinning vinyl on my HiFi in a more ideal listening enviroment.

Guest steveskyhawk

Now you are talking. When Padgett and i imply that this job is difficult what we really mean is that it isn't worth the time and risk. These cars aren't really hard to take apart but I wouldn't even attempt to remove an IPC bezel unless the temperature was above 70* F. I think you know what I mean.