30 DB Business Coupe Six Cylinder engine tech questions

DodgeDD670

Hello

I just found this coupe this weekend and I know nothing about the straight six. It is all original rust free but not a perade condition and not a hacker either and I would like to find performance parts for it! is it possible to find tri power carbs and intake. larger cam shaft etc.. any kind of drivetrain info would be helpful Also I want to keep all the original part but make it a 50's style rod without doing any cutting etc.. make it capable of going back original!!! I need to convert the wheels over to a 5 lug. how can I do that and with what parts. What does DA DH stand for as well! Thank You for any links or info you can pass on. I do need some small parts to make it all original! were can I find them? ie were the windsheild raises it seem to be missing raising and or locking it in the open position parts! confused.gif

Your right! How about cool factor and dependable for long cruises. I dont have a pic yet but it is veri similar to a 32 ford 3 window coupe. I want to change out the wood spoked wheels to a five lug wheel. I am keeping all original part. There currently is no carb on it and may have to rebuild engine first. The rear suspension has a leaf springs on each side and a ford 8 in Looking rear end but its the original! I may put a ford 8 in it if needed.The steering seems tight and I will have to take a better look at that. It has 4 wheel hydrolic brakes! Original to car Thanks

I would not go with a tri power but two single barrels. finding the manifold and linkage will be hard. You will need to relieve the valve and exhaust chambers to take advantage of the breathing but remember this is a flat head. Your bearings are going to be the first to go under the additional strain. If you change the rear end you are going to have to change the front hubs and if you go faster you will need to change the brakes. If you hopp up the engine you may over whelm the radiator. Everything you do will have a cause and effect. 45 years ago I used to haul them out of the junk yards and race them and you will find that you have to look at a old car as a package. Change one thing and you have to change everything. Just one old mans opinion.

Jan

My two 1931 DH6 business coupes came with wood wheels. One was converted to wire wheels with the 5 bolt pattern. You will have to find a parts car with wire wheels to make the conversion if you want to stay with original parts. You will need the drums, hubs and lug nuts. The rear end is big and beefy enough to use without a change, but you may want to find some highway gears from a Chrysler. One of my cars had a split manifold with a downdraft carb, but the bad workmanship by the previous owner did not hold up and the manifold shook apart. There are custom split manifolds on ebay sometimes. My cars will do 55 on the highway, but do complain when I do go that fast. They go faster on surface roads where there is less wind resistance. A lot of modern Chrysler product wheels will fit the five lug pattern on the 1930 and 1931 Dodge. jan arnett is correct.....when you change out one item to upgrade, it usually means you will need to beef up other areas of stress and torque.

DA, DD and DH are model designations. The DA was mostly 1929. The DD was mostly 1930. The DH was mostly 1931. They were intermingled through the years as models changed over from one model year to another. The DC and DG models are straight eight cars. If you need 1930 DA parts, contact my friend Roger Williams at rkwwill@att.net