1948 Packard questions

dl456

Hello All,

My winter project is to make my 48 roadworthy.

Vehicle number is 2262 30984

paint code is M

Trim code is blank or illedgible.

I'm not a Packard guy so I really don't know what these mean.

This car seems to have a charging/electrical system for

commercial use. It has a huge generator, several heatsink/Diodes? and a Leecce Nevillevoltage regulator control unit. I am taking these off. Anybody need this stuff for a commercial car? Anybody have the standard generator and regulator for sale?

I plan to go over the car mechanically and then drive the wheels off of it. You Packard guys think I will park my Cadillacs after that???????

Thanks in advance

Dennis

It is aztec brown. Not much metallic left. Paint is dull and thin , but body is very solid with little or no rust.

Interior is very good with clear plastic seat covers intact.

Will try to post some pictures when I get it moved to my shop.

Any ideas on the electrical system?

Thanks,

Dennis

Guest imported_49packard

You may want to consider a 6v alternator internally regulated. It solves a bunch of problems. There are usually a couple on ebay from time to time.

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Packard32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dennis, you need to be a bit more specific on the electricals question...B </div></div>

Oh, was he asking a question? I thought he was trying to sell us an oversized Generator??? laugh.gif LOL laugh.gif

Packard 32 thanks for your help. I want to return the car to a

standard charging system. It is my understanding that Packard used both Remy and Autolite in 48. I was inquiring to see if anyone had these parts for sale.

Speedster

I was asking a question hence the ? I am not trying to sell

anything. If you ever looked at a factory commercial car(ie cop, ambulance)you would know what I meant. If I were restoring a commercial chassis, I would expect these parts are very hard to come by. I would hate to junk them and then find out somebody needs them.

Dennis

Guest imported_Speedster

Sorry Dennis, I was Joking. That's what the laugh.gif LOL laugh.gif means.

So, you need both Generator and Regulator, correct?

Aren't those regulators still available at Napa?

If so, probably should find a generator on eBay or somewhere to match manfacturer of new regulator found.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 49packard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You may want to consider a 6v alternator internally regulated. It solves a bunch of problems. There are usually a couple on ebay from time to time. </div></div>

Or you can properly fix the problems and have an original type generator and regulator. This stuff isn't rocket science, and if there are other electrical issues the 6V alternator will help, but won't make all problems go away. I've said this before (and here I go again) but the electrical system is the one thing that receives the most incompetent monkey work of any system on an old car. Everyone loves to second-guess, retro-botch, blue butt splice the harness and components into an undocumented puzzle for future generations to unscramble.

Take a good long look at the harness, its integrity and the system components. Look at the battery cables, make sure there aren't any teeny 12V cables from Pep boys, make sure that the ground cable is the braided cable as orginally supplied.

If you are going to convert it over to whatever new thing is big now (usually generic streetrod harnesses, saves money that can then go to the body and paint artiste) Do a proper job of it and cdocument how it's wired for the next guy.

Guest John_Lawrence

Dennis, I believe your Leece-Neville equipment may be an early 6-volt alternator. These were fitted to law enforcement and commercial vehicles in the days before 12-volt, alternator equipment was available from the manufactures. If this is the case, you may have something rare. I don't know if Leece-Nevelle is still in business, but a quick Google search should reveal this.

Thanks to all

It appears Leece-Neville is still producing many high output alternators and industrial/commercial equipment.

I will post more info.( maybe in the commercial forum)when

I remove these.the more I look , I do think John may be correct that this is a 6 volt alternator.If it is as heavy as it looks , I may need a crane to remove it from the engine bay.

I still plan to switch these to the standard generator and regulator as I am familiar with them. I wonder if my car started life as fire/police car of some sort. I don't see any other evidence of this.

Thanks again

Dennis