Service engine light E041 Fixed thanks to Padgett

Guest blazer1997

Guest imported_blazer1997

The service engine light come up for about 3 sec. then goes out.

and sometime can go for several weeks and never see this light.

Checked all the ground connection I could find but it still will come up.

Any suggestions?

State the year of your car!!

If it has the 88-89 display get the codes.

On my 89 when this happened, it was the O2 sensor. That was shown in the codes.

If you are at 80K that could be it.

Tom T.

Guest G Froelich

You can also access the code if you have a '90. With ignition key in "On" position, hold down climate control "Off" and "Temp Up" together for several seconds. The display will go crazy at first but when it settles down look for the flashing codes to the left of the gas gauge. Problem codes start with "E".

He has an '89. I went back and read his first post. Go easy on him. If you remember about 2 years ago he replaced just about everthing he could to fix a no start. Turned out to be a relay. Blazer is a good guy.

To read codes,

Go to climate control page. Turn climate control off. Press and hold off and warm buttons. Read codes. Report back

Today drove total of 67 miles, and no yellow service light.

On Thursday drove less than 20 miles the light came on for 2 or 4 seconds, and then go off. This happened 8 or 9 times.

The code that shows is code E041 Cam Sensor.Checked the cam sensor for missing magnets. All 3 are in place.

Thanks Daves89 you are right I did replace just about everything including new manifold gaskets.

It is a 89 reatta.

Any and all suggestions appreciated. Thanks Larry

Padgett I think your right. I checked and cleaned all grounds I could find.

Start checking from the cam sensor plug back for broken or exposed wire.

• 2 weeks later...

Back again been down for couple weeks open heart surgery again.

Removed cam sensor, and checked the magnet using a mirror, and using small drill bit and magnet was strong.

This E041 is intermittent condition. It will show up for seconds, and then go off. Starting today it became more intermittent come on and then go off. Noticed when this code appears while driving if give it throttle had a jerk, and shakes the car.

I have checked for poor connections or broken wire none found.

Using the service manual states poor ecm connection to pin BC5 or faulty ECM.

I replaced the ECM (new) last year.

Padgett help me here.

Still looking for intermittent condition E041. Used all suggections found nothing. Wife started vehicle, and i moved, and pulled every elect harness under the hood. Nothing.

Then i removed the panel under the glove compartment started engine, and pulled, twisted each wire going to the ecm. nothing.

Got ready to call it day started engine to back out of the garage you got it. E041 came up.

Could the cam shaft position sensor be causing thi problem?????? Thanks

The first thing I would do is to check the conddition of the cam magnet (interrupter) visually. It could only be partly there.

The second would be to replace the sensor with a spare I keep around just as a test but it is little more than a coil of wire.

Intermittants are always the hardest to find and if neither of these then it just takes lots of time.

There are pictures at http://padgett.ws/cars/cammag.htm of what a good magnet looks like and how to reach. You will probably need a mirror.

Technician Padgett solve the E041 problem again. I purchased a SU134 wells camshaft sensor from autozone $19.99

Installed, and no more E041 code.

Thanks again Padgett Hope all the reatta owners, and family have a Merry Christmas.

Larry