Wire wheels for 27 model T

Guest prof pat

Guest prof pat

I am new to "T" 's, had just about every other kink of ford. Now I want to change the wood wheels to wire wheels on the 27.

Do the hubs need to be changed? How hard are the wheels to find? and lastly how costly generally are they? Thanks

The Swap sections of the Ford Barn, and the MTFCA web sites are another good place to look. There have been full sets for sale there recently. You can expect to pay around $100 per hub, and $125 per half-way decent wheel - $175 for nicer ones. Another way to go is fully new - Lang's old car parts list the reproduced wheels in their latest catalog, adding the individual parts together ran the total over 3k

Guest prof pat

Thanks Guys for the information, now just two more questions....were these an option, or standard after a specific date of production. With the hubs, will later wheels fit, like 28-29 model a's? But thanks again for your FRIENDLY help.

Pat

In 1926 Ford did what he had resisted for years, he offered Accessories for the model T. Up to this time I think he thought that what he made was good enough. The "full line" of accessories include a stop style drum tail lamp, a vacuum windshield wiper, bumpers, snubbers, wire wheels, a dash lamp (standard on closed cars), a dome lamp (standard on the Fordor), a hand windshield wiper (standard on the closed cars too), Gypsy curtains, wind wings, and a top boot or cover for the open cars.

The wire wheels are an option in 1926 thru 1927 - in 27 they were offered in colors other than black. The hole pattern is smaller than the later wheels and someone was making an adapter kit to use the early Model A wheels in place of the harder to find T wheels.

post-32809-143138017969_thumb.jpg

You can buy adapters that allow you to bolt Model A wheels directly to your T wood spoke hubs. They are kinda spendy but cheaper than full T wire setup and Model A 21" wires are cheap and plentiful. My friend has a set on his 27 T roadster pickup.