headlight alignment

Guest ekvh

I purchased an 88 which had hit a deer. The headlight was replaced before I got it. The problem: I align the headlights by manually dialing the adjuster with the hood open. When I close the headlights and reopen them, the one that was replaced is shining too high, way too high. I notice my plastic stops are just floating on both sides. I know I probably have to replace them , but what is causing the headlight to keep returning to the high position?

I will check that, bobby v, when I quickly adjusted them yesterday, the lights are a different intensity and pattern. One shines brighter and has a wider spread pattern. I have other issues as my high beam light comes on randomly on the rt side. I am wondering if the wires were switched when whoever switched the left side hooked it up. I found on the left, the wires had been spliced and just twisted and taped, so I soldered them together hoping that would remedy it, but it didn't. Sure glad it's cold out now not.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest F14CRAZY

Someone may have replaced only one of the sealed beam headlight assemblies...there could definitely be some difference in the brightness and pattern because of that.

Guest Bobby Valines

I have bought a few cars that have been hit in front, not reattas but. Sounds to me like your going to have to track the wires looking for any damage. If you find a smash mark or cut in the plastic that holds the wire or anything of this sort, you'll have to open it up and look for a short. If the head light is upside down you'll never get it adjusted, Might be able to tell by the writing on it.

When folks speak of Silver Stars I get confused. I bought 2 pair of Silver Star Sealed Beams, and I can see at night Alright of course, but not a gigantic difference from other sealed beams. When speaking of great improvements do you have to convert?

On the headlight intensity thing.........two possible problems.

(1) poor ground

(2) damaged wire..often the wire to the headlight get routed incorrectly. When that happens, the wire flexes, then strands start breaking. eventually the headlight will not light.

Attached is a photo showing the way the headlight wire should be routed to the lamp.

post-30596-143138019772_thumb.jpg

Guest MauiWowee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: F14CRAZY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Someday I'll have Barneycranks, Hella H4 euro-spec lenses, with true HIDs </div></div>

Well, two outta three ain't bad. cool.gif

Done the same as padgett. Silver Star seal beams in the Reatta, and Silver Star high & low beam bulbs in the son's 96 Crown Vic.. The Silver Stars have a truer white color to them. After installing the Silver Stars, the others look almost yellow.

Didn't say there was a big difference with Silverstars over a good halogen but they are better/brighter than any other US-legal headlamp I've seen. True, you can buy 100w systems, just don't shine your high beam on a cop.

Have been in FLAPS before and been handed Xtravisions when specifically asked for SilverStars.

Incidently, the pair I bought in 2001 is still going strong.