1989 Reatta-What to look for

Lawteachr

Don't look at anything, just buy it. I sell Reatta parts.

Just kidding.

Two things I would do is take the car out on a road with no other cars around and go about 15 MPH and do a simulated panic stop. The car should stop straight and not pull to one side or the other. If it does pull it could be simply a bad caliper on a wheel but also be a bad valve body in the ABS system. That could be expensive.

With regard to the brake test mentioned by someone else that is important. I have good used ABS pumps and pressure switches available but there is almost no such thing as a good used accumulator. If your red light comes on in the test in 3 pumps or less the accumulator should be replaced with a new one. About $ 140.

The other item since you are from NY is look under the car on the drivers side and look for rust on the brake lines, fuel lines and gas tank filler pipe. A little surface rust is OK but any heavy rust could be an indicator of future problems.

Guest Bobby Valines

I bought my 89 6 month ago and paid 2,400 I thought I was stealing it. The body and inside were in great shape. The motor barely ran to get it home the in dash computer was messing up, the wheels were scratched up, had nice new tires. With the help of the people here I was able to get it to run right and look right for about 600 more. If I don't have help from people here or couldn't do it myself, I would hate to think what it would cost. What I'm trying to say, if you cant do most of the work on your 20 yo car yourself you might be better off getting a newer car. If you can do the work yourself then go for it you will love it. There cool cars and you could join us here and have a lot of fun working on it, keeping it up,

Having owned my 89 for more than 10 years before I sold it in September, I know the car rather well. The one area that can be a serious problem, as already mentioned, are the brakes. Do take the brake test and make any repairs to get the brakes working top notched. I would also drain the fluid at least once a year. There is a thread on this forum that describes the proper way to do it. Buy a shop manual, very important. They appear on eBay from time to time. If you can do auto repairs yourself, you are ahead of the game. Shops simply hate these cars! When you drive up in a Reatta the employee's eye glaze over like deer caught in headlights. There is really nothing magical about a Reatta. It's powertrain is the same as any number of GM products of the period. Many parts are the same as a Riveria. Body and trim is unique to the Reatta. New parts, for the most part, just are not there anymore. However, our own Jim Finn has some parts cars and is very reasonable and helpful. Parts are not too much of an issue. The Reatta is a great little car. Just remember that an 89 is a 20 year old car. Things will go wrong. The people on this forum know these car well and can offer good advice for most repairs. Enjoy.

Your profile shows NY. If in your part, salt is used, I'd be sure to take a good look underneath, particularly at the earlier mentioned engine cradle.

I'm not as skeptical as some of mechanics. I just finished a long Reatta relationship. My time and skills were limited. I found 2 Free Standing dealers(I think that's important), as money is made on Buicks within 15 miles of each other who did a great job with my car, and most importantly read every thread that I ever started here that was going to cost me money. The service manual was always in the trunk.

If you have a mechanic who will read what is given here, that's a plus.

I will say that with my limited skills, and going into retirement, I was a little concerned about holding onto it.

Tom T

I also just bought an 89 reatta and an allante.

very simular cars to own as long as the car is in pretty good shape to begin with. you have alot more support for repairs and simple things than the allante.the parts specially threw Mr.Finn are cheaper than the allante by far.the brake systems are the same and very is important to check.

Also make sure it idle's good when in park and when shifting from gears and drive.Mine has this issue and though it isnt somthing thats a deal breaker but its an annoying issue to track the cause.Most everything else can be ebay'ed or found here.Between both cars i think you will enjoy the reatta simply because it gets great milage is very reliable drive train wise and alot friendlier support.