hello buick pre war i need your help

harryo

i just got one or should i say 3/4 one the data plate is missing but i have the drive train and dash too front is there no rear body the frane numbers are 1364272 engine numbers are 140107 thats all i got i think its 1924 or 25 but not sure does the numbers help at all there wheels and rear and front axles for sale on hwere and look just what i have so if any one knows any thing i would love the help thanks harry

Guest imported_Thriller

If I have it right, according to the <span style="font-style: italic">Standard Catalog of Buick</span>, it appears to be a 1925 model from the frame number. Can you measure the wheelbase? 114" would be the Standard and 120" or 128" for the Master series.

Dave Corbin is the resident numbers guy...with frame and engine numbers, he can usually get it to the model and possibly additional information. Hopefully he'll be able to shed some more light for you.

yes 120 wheel base the man said he think it 24 0r 25 iy needs lots of work i know but if i can find out for sure what it is i can find parts better i know i find one cowl light it dont look like 28 s knowing it master helps a lot thanks now if i know what size wheels i can start too look for some so she has wheels lol thanks again harry

hello form what i been finding out its 25 i think sedan coz it dont look like it ever had front bumber on it no hole lolmark i seen on your 24 that no key on dash like mine and i have key lock on shifter too so i dont know if trns is lock or just locked up lol im going too pull the key parts out and get keys made /i hope /i realy know nothing about this buick oher than i liked it hope too find body parts but think i should start with wheels loldo you know if 29 wood wheels off master will be the same there so much i want too know about it i got the valves lose today and im missing 2 push rods and the cover at bottom the dis is broke so i need too find one of them after i get engine free i will take it apart and re do it it looks heavy will i been looking at the 24 dash i lot wish i know more about it i think i need book on it lol any way thanks for all the help i know ill need too ask more lol harry

Harry,

On the Buick Club web sight, there is a link to the Judging Manual. It will give you some information about your car and the tire size which is 600 x 22 for 1925. In those days, tire size was also stated as 30 x 4. To translate that, multiply the 4 x 2 and subtract that from the 30 which gives you 22 inches.

Also go to http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/1927buicks.

If you join the group, you can get into the listing on the left side of the screed under the title "Files". The 5th item in the files list is an article on early 6 Cylindder Buicks by David Chambers. Print it out. It will tell you a whole lot about these early buicks.

I have a 1922, 1927 and 1928 Buick. I drive the 1928 regularly. If you need help, you need to e-mail me at fred.rawling@live.com or post on the 1927 buicks group as those messages come directly to my e-mail. I do not get on this forum regularly.

You are looking at a lot of money to get that car running. As an example, the points, condenser, rotor and distributor cap are going to cost around $100.00.

I would suggest that you get the car inside somewhere and start cleaning up different parts and putting them back on the car. You can be acomplishing something while trying to find the missing parts. The biggest mistake that I see people making is taking everything apart and nothing ever gets back on the car. Then they end up with a pile of nothing.

Another thought is that everyone seems to go out and buy a new set of tires $400.00, right away. When the car finally gets done, the tires are old and cracked. If you can find some old used, worn out, cheep, tires they would work fine until you were ready to take the car out on the road.

You car did not originally have a key switch on the dash board. If it was a closed car, it did not have an ignition key. If it was an open car, it had a key slot in the combination switch.

Buicks did not come with bumpers until 1928. Bumpers were an aftermarket item.

Check the passenger side of the firewall under the hood for a square data plate which will give the model number of the car.

Fred Rawling

thanks i will look at site it does have key on switch and on the shifter for the trans is one two i been looking for some wheels coz there in none and as for tries well i wait coz i know they end up no good like you said loli have long way too go and the data plate is missing but i have have find out its a 1925 # 40 sop its start and i thank you for telling me not too take all apart coz i been trying too do one thing at time but thanks again harry

HARRY,

It occured to me that you can use wheels from other year cars as long as the wheel bearings are the same.

1922 to 1923 4 cyl, 1925 to 1928 6 cyl wheels all use the same front wheel bearings, both inner and outter.

D, E, H, K, & 1922 to 1925 rear wheels use the same wheel bearings.

The conclusion would seem to be that you can change the wheel and rim within these years.

The thing to watch is the height of the wheel and if it will clear the body.

1922 6 cyl. wheels are 25 inches, 1923 and 1924 6 cyl are 24 inches, 1922 to 1924 4 cyl are 22 inches,1925 wheels are 22 inches, 1926 to 1928 are 21 inch.

Fred