WTB 1931 Dodge Brothers DG straight 8 engine

keiser31

• 3 months later...

The difference between engines?

1930 DC8 = 220.7 c.i. 75 h.p.

1931 DG8 = 240 c.i. 84 h.p.

1932 DK8 = 282 c.i. 90 h.p.

The difference in engine color?

Should be all the same up to 1933 where I think they went to silver for all Chrysler product engines (I could certainly be wrong about that, but that is what I have seen).

I am guessing externally they were the same but maybe had slight mods to the heads? Or was the advertised H.P. jump not reality but a ploy to advertise and sell cars? I would be interested in someone confirming your theory on the 33 and up colors. I had not heard this until now.

Externally, I believe the engines were basically the same (they all fit in the same mounts) except in '31 they had thermostatically controlled grille shutters which incorporated a big bulky controller onto the top/front of the cylinder head. As far as horsepower ratings, I have no idea if the head was changed or piston sizes. As far as the engine colors, I am going by what I have seen in my years around early Chrysler products. I would also like to know if I am correct.

The 32 DK also had radiator shutters run by the shutterstat (in place of a normal thermostat) and had a "red head" option of a high compression head that raised the horsepower from 90 to 100. I believe the head was actually painted red. All the eights used downdraft carbs, which didn't get to the sixes until 1933.

Larry