No '33s for Sale ?

Guest Speedster

Guest imported_Speedster

I mentioned to a friend that '33 Packards were very seldom seen for sale anywhere, compaired to '32 and '34. He asked why that was, and I wasn't sure how to answer that? Was production that much less in '33, or is there some other reason, also?

Guest superods

I have a nice 33 Victoria Convertible I will sell. I know where there is a real nice 33 5 passenger for sale but I am not telling anyone about it. That will be a nice buy this summer. I just bought a 33 Club sedan Speedster from Joe Barnes in Jersey last week. If you know of any others priced right I am always interested.

Guest imported_Speedster

If I could find a restorable '33 for less than 10.K, I would certainly consider it. That's always been my limit for initial cost of a car and I'm sticking to it. Surely there's one buried in a swamp somewhere? laugh.gif LOL laugh.gif

My left hand is starting to recover and hopefully in another 6 months it will be good enough to use, so I could completely get into a new project next spring. grin.gif

Of course, I would have to sell one first, maybe the '37 Streetrod Limo. It takes up too much room anyway. grin.gif

post-33516-14313801533_thumb.jpg

Don't recall the details, but the factory made available to the dealers a kit to transform 33s into 34s. This was in order to clear the old inventory. I wonder now if the 33s were re-titled as 34s. If so, it would artificially diminish the ranks of one and swell the other.

Titling was a little more casual then, many times a car (or truck) wouldn't be titled with the model year but the sold date. I have a Porsche built in 64 and titled as a 65 for that reason.

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BillP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the factory made available to the dealers a kit to transform 33s into 34s. </div></div>

Very interesting, I had a feeling we had not heard the Whole story. wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BillP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't recall the details, but the factory made available to the dealers a kit to transform 33s into 34s. This was in order to clear the old inventory. I wonder now if the 33s were re-titled as 34s. If so, it would artificially diminish the ranks of one and swell the other.

Titling was a little more casual then, many times a car (or truck) wouldn't be titled with the model year but the sold date. I have a Porsche built in 64 and titled as a 65 for that reason. </div></div>

I think the story you have is off by a few years. It was 31s that could be fitted with an V-shaped grilled thereby making it look more like a 32. The 31s had flat grill.

It was the unsold '31s that were updated by the dealers. It was not simply a '32 grill but rather a very special grill Veed like the '32 but with the hood contour of the '31. The update also included the '32 bumper, headlite bar and '32 taillights. We restored an 840 roadster with this update. Most attractive. Any car from 1933 is relatively rare given the low production #s.

Guest imported_Speedster

If they did it in '32, it seems logical they would do it other years Also, as Needed?

Hard-times call for unusual solutions and I'm sure people would understand and accept it more during the Depression.

The practice was also done to upgrade 1933 Packards, although not nearly to the degree that was done in 1932. For 1934, it was hardly more than a fender change. It's still possible they were titled as 1934, though, as suggested.

However, for the most part, production of all makers' 1933 models was WAY down in 1933 due to the severity of the Depression that year, thus the need to update the unsold 1933 cars. 1934 was a better year (economically).

West,

I have seen plenty written up about the 31 to 32 upgrade, but I have never seen anything in print regarding the 33 to 34 upgrade. Where did you get that info from...

Also in regards to rarity, I have seen a lot more 33 and 34 open for sale than 32s for open super 8s though there are notthat many of any of the three years around.

Looks like a glut of 34s here. laugh.gif

Hi Ken, I know you asked West. I think there's info about the 33/34 upgrade in Kimes' book. Also, it seems like every time I see something in print about the Car of the Dome, it includes the tale of the workmen changing it to a 34 at night, after the show closed for the day.

This change makes a lot of sense in light of the difficult times. Selling sizzle as well as steak.

First, in regards to the original poster's question, here's a report from Packard President Alvan Macauley:

"registrations of new cars of all makes throughout the U.S. last year [1932] were 57.5 percent of those registered in 1931... Packard registration was 68 percent."

That explains why you don't see many 1932 cars, either, as the economy just got worse for 1933.

For 1933, Macauley (as presidnt of the National Automobile Chamber of Commerce) agreed to a NRA Motor Car Code that set price and wage standards intended to stabilize the industry. The code worked to the greater disadvantage of those companies producing higher priced cars. (This code was later declared unconsitutional, but not until 1935).

Caption on page 335 of the Kimes book (general edition, second printing) states: It was only natural that owners of 1933 and 1932 Packards would want the new built-in look of the 1934 radio. With a minimum of alteration to the mounting panel, the 1934 instrument panel could be installed on [the 1932-33] cars. For further updating, the 1934 front fenders could be installed on the 1933 cars. BOTH THESE ALTERATIONS WERE COVERED IN THE PACKARD SERVICE LETTERS. (Emphasis mine).

Thanks West. Good info. Sound a little different than the 31 change to 32 where these kits were sent out to dealers so that the cars could have a different look vs. a service letter indicating possible changes to cars.

Have you seen many 33s with this change?

Guest imported_Speedster

If a '33 had been converted to a '34 at factory or dealer, what would be the easiest way to know if it had? (numbers ?)

Don't know as the firewall id numbers would probably still show it as a 33. I believe that all of the converted 31s stll have the 31 serial numbers.

When I was looking for my car 3 years ago, I did see a 33 in a collection whose fromt fender skirts had been sliced away to make it look like a 32 fender.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Speedster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If a '33 had been converted to a '34 at factory or dealer, what would be the easiest way to know if it had? (numbers ?) </div></div>

The dashboard, unless that was changed, too. The hood handles are also different.

Guest imported_Speedster

Reminds of some Women I know. No way of really Knowing how Old they are. laugh.gif

Without checking their paperwork. wink.gif

I've been focusing on 33 and 34 Packards for 40+ years and never heard of a factory update other than the Car of the Dome, though many front fender changes occurred in the hands of subsequent owners. I've even seen 2 33 sedans where the front doors were changed to get rid of the damned angel wings. But when in doubt, if you suspect the VN on the patent plate has been changed, check the thief-proof number (embossed on cowl), I've got a fairly good sampling of numbers.

ADDED 10/30. The lowest thief-proof number I have for a 1934 is 178237, and the highest for a 1933 is 176677. If your number is in between those 2 I can't help but would like your data to help fill out the database. If your # is above the higher one, it's surely not a 1933, and if it's below the lower one, it's surely not a 1934.

Of course motor numbers, frame numbers and steering gear numbers can also provide clues.