26 sedan gas tank

Guest cardinal905

Guest cardinal905

I find I need to build a new gas tank for my 1926 model 27, a simple design, but have two questions---What guage steel was stock back then, and does anyone know where I can find a tool to do the rolled end caps. I am going to Grizzly's Friday to get my new 50'' slip roller---Oh boy, Christmas in October !

Guest cardinal905

I have the tank out of mine for physical measurements---I was speaking of the guage of steel, I wanted to get a sheet and start to practice with the roller prior to dismantling my old tank, thats why I asked for the guage of metal--guess I will try 18G. The big question I have now is how I am to roll the edge at the end caps. Thanks Ryan for the offer to measure !

Good luck with that!! No idea how to do that. Did you finally get your carb overhauled? I got my car running fairly well. I have another guy that has helped me and wants to go through the carb and find the idle adjust if there is one... I am going to have to pull the carb and the carb heat pipe b/c I think the exhaust butterfly is stuck open or dismantled causing too much carb heat to enter the heat riser. I also have a vacuum leak in the riser somewhere. Great to hear the engine run though!!

Cardinal905,

Can you cut a piece out of the old tank and measure the thickness to determine the gauge?

Ryan G,

The idle adjustment is the wheel at the bottom of the carburetor. The notch in the wheel should line up with the stud that sticks down from the bottom of the carburetor with about one turn out from closed. In the final analysis, a quarter turn of the wheel will make hardly any difference in the idle speed. The notch lined up with the peg that sticks down from the bottom of the carburetor is where the factory set it.

The rear of the air valve in the venturi should have a clearance from the die cast insert in the venturi of about .005. Some people advocate removing that diecast piece to sand it down but I have always been afraid that it would break so I cut a thin piece of wood the width of the die cast piece, glue the sand paper to it and sand it down while it is still installed in the venturi. It takes longer but not as long as finding another die cast piece.

Fred Rawling (562) 644-4670 fred.rawling@live.com

Ryan,

I read an earlier post and picked up on the statement that you had the carburetor rebuilt. The carburetor shop that rebuilt it should have flow tested it or at least known how to set the idle screw on the bottom of the carb.

If that is the case, the idle is probably set righgt or verry close to it.

Guest cardinal905

Fred---Yes I will have to cut the tank for a measurement. I was hoping to get some metal and practice with the proper guage before tearing into the tank. Steel is still expensive, it has not seemed to come down the way the commodity has. Another concern I had was the amount of degragation from the 1/8 inch of rust and crap all over the inside, I hope I can get a good reading on a guage---but I guess its not extremely critical to have the exact guage, is it? Another question I have is, when asked about the inside baffles, a freind stated "just dont use a baffle" ---is that advisable for a straight and level driver of 200 miles a year?