What do you call that mini-shock next to the crankshaft pulley?

Guest Kitskaboodle

Guest Kitskaboodle

Vibration Damper? (that's what the service manual calls it anyways) Mine is totally worn out. Suggestions on where to buy one inexpensively? GMpartsdirect? Rockauto? Also, what is the AC-Delco p/n?

Thanks, Kit / 90 Coupe

Guest Squire Tom

they are made of unobtanium . ran mine for awhile without it and did not notice much. put in used one from jim and at certain low speeds i think i notice some jouncing on occasion.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Has anyone tried to rig one out of a threaded rod and some bushings? Kind of looks like an arrangement similar to how the end of a sway bar is attached might work to dampen vibration and give some support .

Wouldn’t allow as much movement as the shock would, but I don’t think the engine rocks that much.

IMG_3692_600.jpg

3.8L GM V6s are what's known as an odd-fire V6 because it

uses a 90 degree design adapted from a V8. It has always had more vibration than a 60 degree design. Some drivers don't mind the extra vibes ( can tell when it's running),

and some don't. The damper was an attempt to appease those

drivers, I suspect.

Pretty much all the other V6s were designed as a V6 and were a 60 degree config. The 3.8 is still a 90 degree, and

I believe ( please correct me if I'm wrong )that the 3.8 GM

engine is the most extensively used engine in GM history,

dating back to rear wheel drive midsize cars and the Buick Grand National. I think it was still being used a couple of years ago.

Guest Squire Tom

i thought the odd firing six was just due to whacking two cylinders from a V8 , i think i recall that they had a lot of bottom end problems.

seems to me the 3800 addressed that problem.

doesn't seem that very many 3800's had the shock absorber , ergo the scarcity of replacement parts.

did the same vintage rivieras and toros have the shock ?

just a few ramblings.

yes the rivs and tornados had it. Its perpose is to dampen vibration for the tranny. The reason the 91 did not have it is because the trany was changeg to the electronic version. Caddys used a build up on the front passenger axle to do the same thing as our little shock. So all in all it is an important part of the system, but as with so many things on our cars, there is not enough profit for a company to reman/produce them.

Guest Squire Tom

hey d a n i e l

i have a late 91 and the shock is there. got one from finn

it didnt fit quite right , but my local wrench made it work.

for your series 1 s/c - did you have to change all the computers?

No, I just had the chip reprogrammed, by Ryan @ GMtuners.com. I did however have to add a computer from a 93' Park Ave Ultra to control the 4t60e-HD trany. All in all everything still works with the exception of the trany diagnostic area of the TCC. I hope to fix this when I rebuild my other series one engine, and try to make a hybrid of the two tranys.

Guest Kitskaboodle

Went to the local Pick-N-Pull saturday and pulled the mini-shock thingie off of two different Riviera's. (same vintage as Reattas)

After looking at them closely and comparing them with the one out of my 90 Reatta, the shock main bodies are identical but the lower shaft (that goes toward the bottom mount) is about 1 inch longer. You'll also notice the Riviera uses smaller rubber cushions on the bottom whereas the Reatta uses the same big size top and bottom. I'm hoping it'll work. The shocks I picked out have lots of life left. smile.gif

Kit