1939 Plymouth questions

Mika Jaakkola

• 1 month later...
Guest wsfrison

Sorry about the slow response, I hadn't checked the Plymouth site lately.

According to my reference materials=

P7 serial nos. 1298001-1377475,9150401-9164593,3110001-3114680. Canadian 9603586-?

P8 serial nos. 10630001-10879874,20027001-20062199,3222001-3242203.

Steve

Mika i'm coming in a bit late to , yes the deluxe was a P8 and the roadking a P7 , but P8 engine numbers applied to both series . i dont live in the US but from what i can understand it depended on which State your car was titled in whether it was titled by the engine number or the body serial number ,

Guest imported_Bill-W

1939 Canadian serial numbers :

P-7 : Roadking : 9603586 to 9607605

P-8 : DeLuxe and Custom : 9358626 to 9368510

Engine numbers :

P-7 : Roadking : P7-1001-C and up

P-8 : DeLuxe and Custom : P8-1001-C and up

Bill

Vancouver, BC

the way i read it mike your car is not canadian assembled , but one you recently imported from the US, the information i Posted came from the book THE PLYMOUTH DESOTO STORY.

• 3 weeks later...

Mika

I posed your question to a 1939 Plymouth expert in Michigan. Here's what he says:

You would have to know where the car was built or assembled because exports used different labels for the series. One export brochure I have lists SIX and Deluxe SIX which states"The DeLuxe Sixes are equipped with the Remote Control Gear Shifts, but the Sixes come equipped with the convential Gear Shift levers." This sounds the same or similar to domestic P8 Deluxe and P7 Standard.

On a recent French ad that I found, it states that a shift on the column was standard on the Custom and DeLuxe.

You can tell if the trans was replaced by the steering column, draft pad at the fire wall, the casting at the base of the steering wheel, etc. I am not sure if there would be a difference if it is a left or right hand drive.

Guest imported_Bill-W

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mika

I posed your question to a 1939 Plymouth expert in Michigan. Here's what he says:

You would have to know where the car was built or assembled because exports used different labels for the series. One export brochure I have lists SIX and Deluxe SIX which states"The DeLuxe Sixes are equipped with the Remote Control Gear Shifts, but the Sixes come equipped with the convential Gear Shift levers." This sounds the same or similar to domestic P8 Deluxe and P7 Standard.

On a recent French ad that I found, it states that a shift on the column was standard on the Custom and DeLuxe.

You can tell if the trans was replaced by the steering column, draft pad at the fire wall, the casting at the base of the steering wheel, etc. I am not sure if there would be a difference if it is a left or right hand drive.

</div></div>

The French ad for Custom and DeLuxe may be a Canadian item. Chrysler of Canada offered a Custom series from 1936 through 1941 on the upper Plymouth model. Which was the same model number as the DeLuxe series.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

• 4 months later...

While on the subject of 1939 P-8's I have a question. I have a '39 P-8 four door sedan and need some parts. Mainly I am looking for a new coil and coil mounting bracket as well as some parts for the distributor.

I have tried for about 2 months on and off to get theses parts without luck. Please help me with any suggestions on where to get these parts.

You can email me directly at shoe_crc@hotmail.com

Thanks

John Shoemaker

1939 Plymouth P-8

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I downloaded a free PDF catalogue from Mitchell Motor Parts Inc. and I saw some coil stuff in there.

Their web site is www.mmpar.com if you want a copy of the catalogue.

I've recently bought a 1938 Plymouth Pickup. I keep seeing these P numbers mentioned. According to this catalogue...I guess I have a 1938 P5, P6. Not sure how to tell which of the two P's it is or what it signifies. Can anyone help a newbie out?