1966 Quadrajet intake questions

65_wcat

I am hoping that someone can help me out.

I recently bought a 1966 Quadrajet intake that I intend to put on my 1965 Wildcat 401 with automatic transmission.

I am pretty sure that the Quadrajet carburetor for 1966 does not have vacuum ports for the automatic transmission and power brake lines.

Can anyone provide photos or describe how these vacuum lines are attached?

Thanks!

Greg

Greg, you are correct,'66 was the first year for the QJet and the only year for the nailhead, as the nailheadw went away after '66. I have a book, I will look for on the '66 QJet that may show what you are looking for, or I also have one in the dungeon of Buick parts in my basement, I can look at, too!

Hey Greg,

I put a 66 manifold and Qjet on my 63 Wildcat and rigged a kickdown linkage (mechanical) for my Dynaflow. I will check to see if there is an unused vacuum port. I know that it has a heat tube choke.

This was a one year only setup (last year Nailhead) so finding an actual 66 Qjet may be difficult. All of the other manifold ports, ie. AC, power brake, plus all mounting holes, bolt right up.

Mike

Im getting almost 15 mpg vs. 12 due to the Qjet's smaller primaries. I could have rebuilt the old carb but I had the 66 intake and found a freshly rebuilt 66 Qjet that I couldn't pass up. As far as off the line performance, if I HAD rebuilt my old carb, it would have maybe been equal, but it was a tired slobbery mess.

The brake booster comes off the intake just like my 63 so that is the same. AC vac comes from the front hole in the intake, also just like the 63, so I assume both of those would work on a 65. I can't tell you about vac for your trans, but I seem to recall an extra plugged vac port on the carb. I can check it tonight.

Thanks all!

The photos give me a pretty good idea how everything is set up. If I can get a similar improvement in MPG I'll take it. At today's gas prices, every bit helps.

One last thing. Removing and replacing looks fairly straight forward. Any tricks or pitfalls to look out for?? Also, what gasket sealer did you use?

Greg