radio noise

waltmail

I tried the search engine and FAQ list with no results. My radio unit is putting out real fuzzy/static noises along with the normal sounds. Also the right side sounds dead except for the fuzz. I sort of recall posts on this problem and its repair DIY style. Can anyone post a link. Thank you.

Guest simplyconnected

Have you tried Royal Radio? They have a history dating back to the 60's, fixing Pontiac dealership and Ford factory (I mean in the assembly plant) radios. They are in Royal Oak, Michigan, next door to what used to be, Royal Pontiac. Their reputation is excellent.

If you are interested, I will give their number. - Dave Dare

Might have been me. After playing some heavy metal, all my issues cleared up. You might try taking it to the limit. It worked for me, but might blow your speakers. I sold the 89 last month and never had an issue after taking it to the limit.

Tom T

Guest crazytrain2

Is there any difference in the static / fuzz noise when playing a tape vs. listening to radio?

Does the static sound increase and decrease in relation to the engine RPM's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crazytrain2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there any difference in the static / fuzz noise when playing a tape vs. listening to radio?

Does the static sound increase and decrease in relation to the engine RPM's </div></div>

Nope no difference. I recall someone mentioning a capacitor or 2 taking a dump causing this problem in a previous discussion.

Click here and you will find instructions for removing the radio module and for replacing the radio module capacitors.

I replaced the capacitors in my radio and it stop popping a clicking noises.

To see if the capacitors are your problem do the following:

1. Park the car outside so your house electrical system will not effect the test.

2. Press the 'Radio" hard button on the upper right of the CRT screen.

3. Press the 'Tune' soft key right on the CRT. (tune buttons will appear at the bottom of the CRT.

4. Use the up and down soft keys to tune the radio to a frequency where there is <span style="font-weight: bold">not a station</span> and does not have static if possible. Steady white noise is ok but silence is best. (may be hard to achieve inside a city).

5. Turn up the volume and listen for random pops and clicks.

If you still hear the pops and clicks the capacitors need to be replaced. Otherwise check for bad speakers, bad antenna or bad connections.