Brake fluid all gone!

ncgirl05

Hi All,

One of my Reattas sat for several months because the battery was bad. I finally bought a new battery for it and started it up only to find I had no brakes. Checked under the hood and found that there was no brake fluid. Looked over where the car had been parked and there was a distinct black circle in the gravel - where all the brake fluid leaked out I'm assuming. frown.gif The car was fine the last time I drove it, so what could have happened while it was sitting that all the fluid leaked out? Oh - we refilled the reservoir after discovering it was empty, but that leaked out as well.

The car is now sitting once again, and we've been to busy to investigate the problem. Any ideas where to start looking or what to check first?

Thanks all!

Put a piece of cardboard under it to see where it is leaking. (Sounds like you have an idea already.) I suspect it is a rusty brake line or bad flex hose. You will need to replace the line and completely flush the system. This would be a good time to evaluate all the lines and hoses.

• 2 months later...

Any idea where to get that small elbow ??? and how do you get the wire out ???? I picked up a pretty clean unit out of one in a local junk yard. It was laying behind the seat but the elbow was broken. The pump seems to be good as I put a battery to it and it spins up. Now to get that wlbow and get the broken piece out. Maybe drill all the way through the housing ???

Thanks,

Carl

Guest steakneggs

I grabbed the dead pump from the Steakmobile and got the wire out but the elbow won't budge. I can't pry it or it will surely break. Take the pump assy off and check the elbow. You don't have to unhook the rubber pressure hose (88 only) if you're just gonna look at the elbow. I replaced the hard braided hose with soft rubber hose on the Steakmobile (but never got the chance to try it). Also if you pull off the reservoir, don't lose the small white plastic doughnut from the middle spout. Steak