1956 New Yorker St Regis transmission

Guest 56 St. Regis

Guest 56 St. Regis

Greetings:

I recently had the good fortune to purchase a 1956 Chrysler New Yorker St. Regis (red, white, and black). This car has been sitting since 1982 and as a result had issues with brakes, fuel, and transmission. The brakes and fuel issues have been resolved and I am now trying to address the transmission.

The transmission goes into forward gear and seems to shift up without problems but not so with reverse. I can feel the transmission engage reverse but the car will not move unless on level ground and then only minimally. Trying to backup an incline is impossible.

The car is now at a local transmission repair shop. They dropped the pan and found a lot of "material". They told me it wasn't steel but the transmission should be pulled and rebuilt. The shop is trying to figure out if this is a Torqueflite of Powerflite transmission. I am of the belief (which many times is wrong) that 3 speed Torqueflite was also introduced in 1956 and this car could have either a Torqueflite or Powerflite transmission.

Can anyone help me understand what my car has for a transmission? I think it is a Powerflite because it has the emergency brake doojibby at the end of the housing and I think the Torqueflite used conventional emergency brakes. Obviously I am new to Chryslers and need all the help I can get.

Many thanks for any assistance anyone can provide.

John Maglia

56 St. Regis

57 Cadillac Cpe de Ville

57 Cadillac Sedan de Ville

56 Cadillac Series 75 Limo

51 Mercury Sport Sedan

Guest 56 St. Regis

Bob, many thanks for the quick response. Can you tell me to which "book" you are referring to?

Regards,

John

It could be either a Powerflite or Torqueflite depending on how late in the year it was built. It you have Drive, 2 and 1 push buttons, then its a three speed torqueflite. If you only have Drive and Low push buttons then its a powerflite.

I always thought the Torqueflite was introduced in 1957. From 1954 to 1956 the 2 speed Powerflite was the only automatic available.

Something doesn't sound right to me. Reverse gear does not wear out, it is used so seldom. I don't think you need a rebuild. If it was mine I would change the fluid and filter, adjust the transmission and try it.

I would not let those monkeys work on my car if they can't tell a Powerflite from a Torqueflite.

Do you have a repair manual? It should clear up any confusion and have complete instructions for adjusting the trans.

By the way, there was some discussion recently on another (Packard) board. Several members said they used B&M transmission fluid and it cured similar problems on old Ultramatics. It seems the clutch plates get hard or glazed with age and the B&M fluid cleans and revives them.

Guest 56 St. Regis

Thanks Rusty. I appreciate the information. The transmission is currently being rebuilt and my fingers are crossed that they do it right.

John

Guest 56 St. Regis

Thanks for the info Ian. I love this car and I want things to be right with her. I think it is one of the prettiest cars I've ever owned. She sure gets a lot of attention.

Regards,

John

Guest imported_Bill-W

The parking brake on the driveshaft was last used on Mopar cars in 1962 - Chryslers, Imperials and Dodge 880s. 1961 was the last year it was used on Plymouths and Dodge Darts. It was never used on Valiants and Lancers.

And if the car has a driveshaft brake, it does not have a park position in the transmission and the car has Lockheed brakes. Cars with the parking brake on the rear wheels have a park sprag in the transmission and use Bendix brakes.

Bill

Vancouver, BC