Engine ID

apb

I have a nailhead in a '55 46r with a block sn I can't figure out. Based on the distance of the manifold bolts I think it is a 264 or a 322 but not sure which. The car should have a 264 but I was told it is a 322.

The block serial # is I3074204

Guest imported_MrEarl

the last number in the ID signifies which series the engine is for. So in your case the 4 would signify a Special. 5=Super. 6=Century, 7=Roadmaster

Are you sure that first digit 1 isn't a 7 ?

The 322 had a harmonic damper and the 264 had a simple pulley at the front of the crankshaft. Also all 322's in 55 had a 4-barrel carb. The manifold and carb could be changed, but not the damper/pulley without creating balance problems.

Willie

Actually the first character is not a 1 but is the letter i.

The list shows a - between the last numbers but I don't have that.

I believe the engine has a pully on the front and not a harmonic damper, that said the engine is not without some vibration. I had written that off to not having the proper balance weights on the torque converter and the trans has been replaced but could it be a combination?

The paint on the pully does look like it has been with the engine for some time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> that said the engine is not without some vibration.</div></div>

When I restored my 55 Olds the engine/drive train had a nasty vibration that I could not figure out to save my a**. Finally discovered that someone, at some point in time, had replaced the 55 harmonic balancer with one from a 57. Those engines are balanced totally differently.

The point is just because it has a part on the car and it looks like it's been there a long time it still may not be correct........Bob

PS. A big thanks to Damper Doctor for spending a lot of time helping me get to the bottom of the problem and accepting the 57 damper as a core for a rebuilt 55.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> At least I don't think it came from Cuba.</div></div>

If it did I'm betting there's no shotage of local folks who could talk to it. 8-)...........Bob