67 Cutlass Supreme Convertible

mikephilp

1967 Cutlass Supreme Convertible

We are going to be starting a restoration on our convertible and can't seem to decipher the cowl tag. The tag reads like this from what we could read...

05D (Date produced May & 4th week)

ST 67-33867 (Year & Model)

TR 988 (Interior Yellow?)

B80 (?)

H91573 (?)

BF00540 (?)

C8 (?)this is what it reads (paint)

220275 (?)

VIN 33867 7 Z7118059

and it has a 350 rocket... anyone know if some came with this engine?

You're sure it's not a 330? 330/350 are very similar, but 350 was not introduced until 1968. Look for #3 or #4 heads for 330, and a 3 cast into the block between the water pump and intake.

350 will have 5, 6, 7, or 8 heads and 2, 5, 3A or 3B between w/p and intake.

67- 1967 model year

3- Oldsmobile Division

38- Cutlass Supreme

67- convertible

Z in VIN indicates built in Fremont CA. That plant is known to have used some different codes than the rest.

With the May build date, at first I thought it was a Spring Special, but those were triple yellow.

C8 translates to Provincial White paint with Yellow convertible top.

988 is yellow <span style="font-weight: bold">cloth</span> and vinyl bucket seats, which strikes me as very odd on a convertible, but it's there in the 1967 CS convertible trim chart, so who knows.

B80 is really throwing me. It is Fisher Body code for stainless drip rail mouldings, which do not even exist on a convertible. Again- Fremont did some things differently.

BF00540 is Fremont Fisher Body plant sequential number.

No idea on the H number. It's a Fremont thing. You don't see it at any other plants.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rocketraider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">B80 is really throwing me. It is Fisher Body code for stainless drip rail mouldings, which do not even exist on a convertible. Again- Fremont did some things differently.

</div></div>

Are you sure that's not B90? I believe B90 was the wide stainless trim at the beltline (along the bottom of the side window openings).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rocketraider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">988 is yellow <span style="font-weight: bold">cloth</span> and vinyl bucket seats, which strikes me as very odd on a convertible, but it's there in the 1967 CS convertible trim chart, so who knows. </div></div>

I sold my '67 color and upholstery manual, but I don't remember seeing any cloth interiors for convertibles...

67olds_fabricbook.JPG

Image from www.oldsmobility.com

Paul

Know where would I find this ODD BALL interior color? OPGI only has Parchment... would this be considered Yellow? So is the car we have one of the few that were all Yellow? Kind of hoping it's not... yellow is not one of my preferred colors on the color chart! lol

What other catalogs are good other than OPGI? Or sites we can go to and order parts from?

Thank you for your help and answers.

That is what is says B80 and I thought the same thing... there is no drip mouldings on a convertible. What do you mean triple yellow? Is our car one of those it was built 4th week of May?

Where can I get a trim chart for this car? Do you happen to know of any other catalogs other than OPGI that are good?

I'm wondering if that cloth/vinyl code in the parts book trim charts is a misprint. It shows yellow <span style="font-weight: bold">vinyl</span> bucket seats as <span style="font-weight: bold">978</span> for CS Holiday coupe and convertible. It also shows <span style="font-weight: bold">988</span> as yellow cloth and vinyl bucket seats on same carline. There are different codes for yellow in 88/98/Cutlass.

SMS may have it, and seems like I heard somebody made a run of it a while back. It is a 1967-only trim for Oldsmobile. Cadillac used it off and on thru the 1980s, but the vinyl grain is different. And it IS yellow. Nowhere close to parchment white.

OPGI and Year One are generic suppliers. Fusick Automotive is an Olds-only vendor with an extensive 64-72 Cutlass catalog. You're in PNW; I think Supercar Specialties is still in business but I haven't seen one of their ads in forever.

I've got two books in front of me - the '67 salesman's SPECS book (March '67 printing), and the Cars & Parts '60-'69 ID numbers book.

The following Cutlass Supreme bucket seat trim codes are listed in the SPECS book:

30 (black), 33 (blue), 35 (red) and 38 (yellow). This book says the first digit (3) is for all-Morocceen bucket seats. The second digit is the color.

The C&PID book lists the following Cutlass Supreme codes:

970 (black), 973 (blue), 975 (red) and 978 (yellow). There are other codes for 0, 3 and 5, but only one for 8, so we know the 97 series is the all-Morocceen buckets. There is no 988 code.

But there are 98 series codes - 980 (black) and 984 (champagne).

Back in the SPECS book, the only Supreme seat available in only black (10) and champagne (14) is the all-Morocceen Sport bench (fold-down armrest). In this case, the first digit means all-Morocceen bench and the second is again the color.

This would make a 988 trim code a yellow (18), all-Morocceen Sport bench seat. Neither 988 nor 18 shows up in either book.

The owner has yet to confirm if the car in questions has buckets or a bench.

Is it possible that very late in the run, Olds came out with a yellow all-Morocceen sport bench in addition to the yellow buckets? Has anyone ever seen such a car? I never really paid attention. In the base Cutlass convertible they offered a yellow non-armrest bench all year - no buckets available in any color.

I need to check my '66 thru '68 parts catalog for trim parts to see what was available. it should list trim numbers for seat covers and such. Being printed in early '68, it should include all of the '67 trim.

There was one Morocceen and pattern cloth bucket seat (6)available. It was only available in the Toronado, and only in black (0) - giving it a 60. Trim code 090.

Does anybody else's head hurt???

Paul

Mystery solved.

I got out my parts book today. Finally found the interior trim chart. Nothing shown there but 978.

Yellow front and rear seat covers were the same for trim codes 978 and 988. That shoots the idea of one being all vinyl and the other being vinyl and cloth.

Door panels are different between trim codes 978 and 988, but with no notation as to why.

Checking the carpeting shows the difference. Trim 978 used a yellow carpet (I would have thought gold) and must have also used a gold dash pad and column/wheel.

Trim 988 used a black carpet and must have used a black pad, column and wheel.

Paul

• 4 months later...

Well we finally brought the car in and started taking it apart! We found the actual paper that is usually posted on the window with all the options on it when the car was made at the Fremont, CA plant.

It does say the Trim is 988 and then with a black marker it was marked YES YELLOW on it. So we are pretty sure that the yellow seats are correct. I'd like to email you a copy of the paper I'm talking about. Maybe this will help a little more.

post-57346-143138020425_thumb.jpg