Mopar Lug Bolts

Guest DodgeKCL

There seems to be some confusion about the 'handed' lug bolts on Chrysler vehicles. I presently have both a '33 Plymouth car and a '35 Dodge 1/2 ton truck and both use common 'turn to the right to tighten', like a jar lid, all wheels. I had a '31 Plymouth and it too had turn like a jar lid bolts. I wonder when the 'left hand/right hand' thing DID start? Maybe if everyone chimes in with their vehicle year and if they have 'handed' lug nuts/bolts or not, we could put a date on it once and for all.

My 42 Dodge pickup had right and left and all my 27 and earlier DB's with disk wheels have right and lefts. I have seen many cars that have had the drums or studs changed to all right's (like my 68 Barracuda Coupe).

Guest elmo39

I have a 39 Desoto it has left and right as has my 54 Desoto diplomat (read Plymouth) and i'm sure that the 37 Plymouth i used town was the same

I think you will find that over the years owners have swapped drums in order to have the same drum/studs all round.

My involvement with Mopars over the past 30 years has shown that the practice of left and right thread studs was common from the introduction of steel wheels right up to the 60s.

Guest DodgeKCL

Alright here we go you got me on the phone long distance to some friends.One elderly friend of mine has been a 'Chrysler nut' since before WWII and this is his input on the subject. He has a '36 Chrysler coupe of which he is the 2nd owner,he bought it in 1964. He has a 1935 Chrysler convertible coupe under restoration of which he is also the 2nd owner. He owned several 1935/36 Plymouths and Dodges over the years, never having changed any hubs. All have or had 'standard' right hand thread 5 bolt wheels. My '33 Plymouth and '35 Dodge KCL are original vehicles as far as I can tell and have rhd threads. And I know for a fact all 1933 Plymouths,regardless of body style, have right hand threads on all wheels. In fact the wheel bolts are interchangable between the '33 Plymouth car and the '35 Dodge KCL truck.

He also owns a 1948 Plymouth Model P15C and it HAS left and right wheel bolts. His last Plymouth in the Thirties was a 1938 and he remembers it having only right hand threads all around.

The 1st Chrysler product he can remember having both right and left handed bolts was a 1941 P12 coupe. He removed the door panels at one time and some one had chalked 'AUG 1940'on the backside of the panel. So it was an early '41 and Chrysler had atleast started with the left/right bolts in the summer production of '41 Plymouths.

So back to the original question. Who does have handed bolts and who has standard? (It appears for Dodges and Plymouths it happened in the 1941 models?)

My friend who is a retired Art teacher owns a 37 Dodge coupe which was his first car and he learned to drive in it many years ago. It has lefts on the left and rights on the rights. Has had the car since he was a kid, never been changed. In fact he always hated the left hand bolts because his left front wheel fell off more than once!

DodgeKCL, I see you are in Canada. I wonder if those cars were different on the lugs than in the States?