Really Tight Wheel Bearing Fit

Guest Mochet

Guest VeloMan

I'm re-assembling some 1921 wheel bearings into the hubs, and they're a real tight fit. They're not the tapered type, so they are a press-fit into the cast iron hub. They are such a tight fit, I thought to slightly enlarge the hub with a brake cylinder hone. Another idea is to heat up the hub to make it expand a bit. Are these things worth trying?

The photo shows the bearings as they fit into the hub (not yet greased).

DSC02559.jpg

Phil Jamison

PA

Are you using the same bearings that originally came out of the hub? If so I would think they should go back in. Make sure there is a small lead or chamfer to start the bearings back in and clean up the hub bores with some fine wet and dry paper. I would not remove any metal or heat the hub. As Bhigdog says use a good anti seize or grease (I wouldn't use oil). Also make sure the bearings are square when pushing them back in. Once the bearings are in place in the hub it should slide easily onto to the stub axle. Take care and good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

HI,

I agree you don't want to hone out the hub. What you can do is put the bearings in the freezer a couple hours and put hub into the oven ~200F or sometimes even just let it sit in the sun.

You also are using a press vs hammer and mandrel (hopefully) A good hydraulic shop press with a proper adapter to press on the outer race should do the trick. Get everything set up before hand so you can go right from the freezer to press.

Check the race OD and the hub ID with a micrometer or caliper to see if they are within a few thousands of eachother.

Scott