Front Stabilizer Bar Bushing replacement process?

Guest Mike_s

Guest Mike_s

Can some one describe how to replace the OEM Front Stabilizer Bar Bushings on a 88.?

edit to add photo

286331.jpg

Besides measuring the sway bar diameter to get the correct bushing, do I need to unattach the end links?. Totaly remove the sway bar?. Also, what's the best way to access the bushing hold down bolts? from below? , thru the wheel well? from above? And, Should the new bushings be lubed? etc.

Thanks, Mike

Guest Mike_s

Thanks Ronnie, but the your link describes "end link bushing" replacement. I'm trying to replace the swaybar bushings which go around the swaybar and connect to the cradle\frame?.

Guest EDBSO

1. Remove bolts.

2. Remove metal hold down plate.

3. Remove bushing.

4. Clean and grease swaybar.

5. Grease bushing.

6. Put bushing over swaybar.

7. Replace metal hold down plate, you may have to shim with wood or metal under the bushing to get a tight fit.

8. Torque down the bolts evenly.

9. Go for a spirited drive.

• 9 months later...
Guest imported_Fox W.

I thought I would mention that I replaced the Sway Bar End Links as per the instructions on Ronnie's site. It was a huge improvement! One of the best things I have had done as far as really feeling an effect. I am therefore looking to see if this can become a trend, so I'm curious what other rubber replacement would have such helpful effects as to keep the car more flat, less floaty and such..

The end links on the early models differ from the later ones. You can go with urethane bushings on the end links for early cars, but there is nothing over stock available for the 90/91 models that I know of. The bushing pictured above is similar in shape all years, but it may be that the diameter of the bar may have changed [???]. I recall there was a thread years ago discussing the possibiilty of modifying a standard urethane bushing to fit our bracket.

Just a note on 88-89 end link: ES are available in black or red (suffix in p/n). Ones from AZ are red and Pep Boys are black. Believe the originals were neutral/pale yellow None are rubber. These are just like millions of other sway bar links.

90-91 (3521260) appears to have been superceded by the 3523593 but again I have not had a chance to compare them. It does look like it could be replaced by a bar with two right angle heim joints. Would like to know why Buick/GM made this change.