Question - are the hoods the same on large and small series?

lancemb

According to the Buick Master Chassis Parts Book of 1957 there are two different part numbers for the hoods of the 40-60 Series and the 50-70 Series. The part number for the small series cars is 1174731 and the part number for the large series cars is 1174732. I'm pretty certain that the Roadmaster/Super hood is wider than the Century/Special hood. The hood to my '57 Century measures just over 41" at the leading edge of the hood and about 42 1/2" at the cowl.

Guest 57Roadmaster75

OK, does that mean the fenders are all the same? I've got an extra set that I never bothered to check the part numbers or measure. They came with the car when I bought it

• 10 months later...

1) I can understand 40/60 series being different from 50/70, but why do 40 and 60 have different part numbers? Those should be the same body.

2) Earlier in the thread, it was verified that the hood has different part numbers and was therefore assumed different widths. If they are both (fenders and hood) wider on large series, it is not by 2" each on fenders and hood, as the entire car is only about 2" wider. It would be about 2" on hood, or about 1" on each fender, or something less than that on fenders and hood, which would surprise me. Somebody above posted hood measurements from a Century; I'll verify width on my Roadmaster if someone doesn't beat me to it...

My half-educated guess would be that the Series 40 fenders had 6 holes drilled in them for the 3 portholes to be mounted whereas the Series 60 fenders had 8. I'm thinking Buick did this to minimize time in the body shops and errors (aligning the holes and drilling them) when these cars were on the road and being bonked into on a fairly regular basis.

For my '57, a Special fender was used and 2 more holes were added to it for the 4th Ventiport.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Buick Bonery

I had an experience a few months ago where a customer mistakenly bought Roadmaster fenders and hood for his Century off of Craigslist. I let him trade them in and we decided to try to determine how they were different. The hood was definitely wider. The fenders were different with respect to the shape where the fender met the windshield trim. Lengthwise, they appeared to be the same.

Well thanks for clearing things up - I think that Buick Bonery's experience seems to confirm things - the only question is now - for those of us with 4-holed fenders sitting around, how can we easily tell which they go to? Are the part numbers stamped in them somewhere? I would have to see one for the 60 side by side with the 50/70 to see the difference in the curvature in the back!

Guest Buick Bonery

Well, I have pictures, but I have no way of loading them onto this site. But here is an easy test to determine if the fender is large or small series. If you measure the small edge near the windshield, before the fender dips down into a gully where it meets the cowl grate, the Roadmaster fender will be slightly less than three inches. On the Special and Century, it is exactly 2.5 inches. This size difference is minor, but measureable (and crucial!). What is more important, but less obvious, is the shape of the Roadmaster fender as it curves around the windshield; it has a much higher sweep than the Special. But this is really hard to capture in a photograph.