NEED TO HAVE MADE A IGNITION POP-OUT

Mike...I am looking for the same thing also. I have the whole assembly in very good shape except for the diecast "pop-out" part which has swollen up due to Zinc diease. It is on my list to get done with my restoration and I have talked to several good machinist who feel they could possibly make it. Please keep me posted as to your efforts in this endevor. By the way both the '28 series "72" and '29 series "75" ran a type 5-B Electrolock, so did the Imperial "80" of '28 thru '30.There is a different part # for the lock assembly and switch and cable between the cars yet the lock cylinder carries the same part #.

• 2 weeks later...

John....Here are some pictures of the Electrolock "pop-out" switch. The cylinder containing the lock cylinder is made of "pot metal" and swells up causing it to fail to slide in the cable housing and trapping the internal mechanism. These units must have failed in their day as they are mostly missing from cars today.

post-34731-143137986655_thumb.jpg

post-34731-143137986659_thumb.jpg

post-34731-143137986661_thumb.jpg

post-34731-143137986663_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting the photos. Can the swelling be filed or carefully ground off allowing the cylinder to function? Would a new one have to be plated? Can you remove the lock? A locksmith probebly can if you can't. There appears to be a groove running around the cylinder. Does it have a purpose? This looks like a fairly easy job for a machinist. Have you shown the part to one and asked if he could make it? John W.

John , the swelling traps the internal mechanism as well as preventing the cylinder from sliding in the housing. Note the lock cylinder plunger in the third picture. It is trapped in the die casting. The groove you mention is between a steel sleeve and the casting. The lock cylinder is squeezed by the swelling and probably can't be removed without cutting open the casting. Yes the parts were originally plated when the assembly was new. I have talked to one or two machinist about reproducing the casting and from their comments; yes I feel it could be accomplished. Part of the problem is I don't know exactly what the guts of the cylinder look like. There must be some sort of cam mechanism that withdraws the lock cylinder plunger allowing the cylinder to "pop out" that is attached to the lock cylinder itself. At the minute, it looks like the cylinder will have to be machined open to figure out what it looks like inside; however, I am holding off on this option until I know more about what I am facing. I was hoping someone on this forum had delt with this issue before.

I think the guts should come out without cutting the casting. I suggest you show it to a locksmith and ask if it can be removed. There is probebly a way to release the cylinder from the casting. I believe it would be like removing the lock cylinder from a more modern non- plunger type ignition. Probebly have to have the plunger pulled in as far as possible. Once the lock is out you will be able to look inside and possibly remove the swollen material. JW

Sounds like the cylinder is frozen in the casting due to the swollen pot metal. A locksmith may do the proceedure to release the cylinder and it may not freely come out due to the swollen pot metal. This will sound crazy but it might just work. Have the locksmith release the cylinder and then place the casting with cylinder stuck in place in your freezer for a few hours. Due to differences in contraction and expansion of different metals the severe cold may loosen the fit of the cylinder in the casting. Insert a slim hooked pulling tool into the key slot to pull with. If freezing does not work try heating instead. If these tricks don't work I suggest cutting the casting off the cylinder with a cut off wheel. Make as few cuts as possible and the pieces can then be inspected and measured for machining a new one. Cut carefully so as not to damage the cylinder. Good luck! JW

• 1 month later...