Just bought an '89 sight unseen

GuitarVince

Hi, I am brand new to the club, just bought an '89 without seeing it. I sat in one when I was 20 (19 long years ago), and was in love, but broke. Will a 6'2" 220 lbs. (ok 245, but working at it), guy fit ok?

It has 45k miles, but has been sitting for a couple of years. My GM certified (read certifiable) brother-in-law checked it out, said the brakes were good, and it ran and drove fine. Any concerns driving it 150 miles home? What tools would you take? Thanks a ton. You guys have a great forum here.

Vince

Guest Ranger

Vince,

Sure, you'll fit, I do and I'm close to your size. Depending on where in the country the car is located, you may want to bring cash. Be sure to change fluids (including brake fluid flush) before you do much driving, DO THE BRAKE TEST FOUND ON THIS FORUM. If it's been sitting that long you may be in for a tire or two, again depending on where it's been stored, may as well change out the serpentine belt, it's going to go sooner or later. Good luck, sounds like you may have found a gem.

Guest Mike_s

I second Rangers concerns on the tires and sepentine belt.

Take a close look at the tire sidewalls "before" your trip and check for cracks and replace them if needed. Since you probably should change the belt anyway, I'd buy it now and take it and the tools to change it on the trip if needed.

Intially figuring out how to use radio and ac controls, etc on the crt can take your attention away from driving, much like a cell phone, at first you might want to use it while stationary.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GuitarVince</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi, I am brand new to the club, just bought an '89 without seeing it. I sat in one when I was 20 (19 long years ago), and was in love, but broke. Will a 6'2" 220 lbs. (ok 245, but working at it), guy fit ok?

It has 45k miles, but has been sitting for a couple of years. My GM certified (read certifiable) brother-in-law checked it out, said the brakes were good, and it ran and drove fine. Any concerns driving it 150 miles home? What tools would you take? Thanks a ton. You guys have a great forum here.

Vince </div></div>

Vince,

Welcome to the forum. You will fit just fine in the car. I am 6'1" tall and weigh 270. I feel I have plenty of room in my Reatta. It is the most comfortable sports car I have owned. It is also the largest. You will like it.

Sounds like a really nice car. With that low mileage, I would check the brakes and tires closely, get a cell phone and a pocket full of money and head out on your trip. I don't think you have anything at all to worry about driving 150 miles. If you take a tool kit, be sure it has an 18mm socket or wrench in case you need to change the belt. Some small kits skip from 17mm to 19mm and don't include the 18mm size.

Welcome. One of the great things about the Reatta is its interior size. Most people who get in my car for the first time comment on how big the interior is. The trunk is no mini either, considering the overall size of the car.

Guest Tammy

Welcome! Before you head out I would ask the owner for any/all other items that would come with the car. Owners manual with pen, flash light, tire gauge and so on. Even the mats on the floor. If the owner is not from this forum they may not know how important all this is.

I would "play" with all the "toys" there, or in a parking lot somewhere. When you first get it, it is alot to watch or figure out while you are driving.

Again WELCOME! send pictures when you can!~Tammy

First of all. You are now "Guitar", not Vince. Get it. I'm kidding of course. Second. Treat it like you would any other car that sat that long. Me, I would tow it home and do all the maint at home. A test drive is one thing. A three hour drive is a deal breaker with broken down fluids. Don't risk it with the low miles. Rent a tow dolly.

Thanks for the advise. By the way, Guitar suits me fine, athough Vega has a nice ring to it. One more question, if I may. My brother-in-law said that the low fuel warning was on, but when he tried to add fuel it spit right back at him like it was full. Anyone else experience this? Thanks,

Guitar

Guest TommyH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GuitarVince</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My brother-in-law said that the low fuel warning was on, but when he tried to add fuel it spit right back at him like it was full. Anyone else experience this?

</div></div>

Same problem. Almost. The car read 1/4 tank, no matter how much we added. My dad finally found out how to empty the tank. On a busy down-town road....

Turns out the needle or whatever had been corroded from sitting so long(8 years) and was stuck. We just switched it out with the known good one in my former Reatta.