36 Packard 120B- removing dampener

tbirdman

A friend is trying to remove a dampener on his 36 Packard 120B. The dampener is first in line with the pully behind it. There appears to be no holes that a puller can be used on. The only holes that may be able to be used are the screws that hold the dampner together. Hints? Big hammer smile.gif

Guest simplyconnected

When you unbolt the damper pulley from the harmonic balancer, what do you see? I don't have a Packard, but I have seen a lot of ways they put them on.

Is there a center bolt that screws into the crankshaft?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: simplyconnected</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you unbolt the damper pulley from the harmonic balancer, what do you see? I don't have a Packard, but I have seen a lot of ways they put them on.

Is there a center bolt that screws into the crankshaft?

</div></div>

I'm told theres a big bolt that fastens it to the crankshaft. I'm told that is the only hole that you see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Owen_Dyneto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you saying you can't use a two- or three-jawed puller behind the pulley? I'd be a bit leary about damaging the pulley, but perhaps with some patience..... </div></div>

That doesn't seem to be the correct way to go. Interestingly enough, he's got a spare engine so he's experimenting with that first.

Guest simplyconnected

If you have a center bolt, and usually it's a BIG one, unscrew it. Your pulley assembly should come out with little effort, using a puller.

Take the harmonic balancer off, and use the bolt holes to mount a puller. The kind of puller I'm refering to has NO claws. It will be a straight bar with slots and a jack-screw in the middle.

Remove the center bolt, then put it back in by a three to four threads. Use the bolt-head, under the jack screw of your puller.

A word of caution:

My Pontiac crankshaft bolts were left-hand threads. All my Ford crankshaft bolts were right-hand thread.

I don't know what Packard uses (most likely RH threads). Maybe someone here can help with that. If you just don't know, try it one way, and if that doesn't work, try it the other way.

My Pontiac 389's and 421's had 150ft/lbs. of torque on that bolt. One just wouldn't come off. I attached a long breaker bar with a 6' pipe around it, wedged it against the frame, and turned the ignition key. It was the loudest CRACK!!! I ever heard a bolt belt-out. Once loose, it came out with my fingers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: simplyconnected</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have a center bolt, and usually it's a BIG one, unscrew it. Your pulley assembly should come out with little effort, using a puller.

Take the harmonic balancer off, and use the bolt holes to mount a puller. The kind of puller I'm refering to has NO claws. It will be a straight bar with slots and a jack-screw in the middle.

Remove the center bolt, then put it back in by a three to four threads. Use the bolt-head, under the jack screw of your puller.

A word of caution:

My Pontiac crankshaft bolts were left-hand threads. All my Ford crankshaft bolts were right-hand thread.

I don't know what Packard uses (most likely RH threads). Maybe someone here can help with that. If you just don't know, try it one way, and if that doesn't work, try it the other way.

My Pontiac 389's and 421's had 150ft/lbs. of torque on that bolt. One just wouldn't come off. I attached a long breaker bar with a 6' pipe around it, wedged it against the frame, and turned the ignition key. It was the loudest CRACK!!! I ever heard a bolt belt-out. Once loose, it came out with my fingers. </div></div>

The harmonic balance is the first thing on the crankshaft that needs to be removed. The pully is after the balancer and can not be gotten to unless your remove the balancer.

Guest simplyconnected

Ok, let's put it this way: There is a cast iron piece that fits over the crankshaft. It should have a pulley and harmonic balancer bolted to it, and it is secured to the crankshaft by a center-bolt. OK?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: simplyconnected</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take the harmonic balancer off, and use the bolt holes to mount a puller.</div></div>Did you do this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Packin31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you get some pictures posted of the balancer? Maybe we can come up with some ideas for you</div></div> Where are they? I don't have a Packard, but you can show us one in a few pic's. All the OEM's did this a little differently. We are trying to help you, but we need more info than you are giving.

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Restorer32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just like a beer bottle, lefty loosy, righty tighty </div></div>

That must be Foreign beer, My beer is bend-up Loosy but Never Tighty. grin.gif LOL grin.gif