'89 to '91 interchange, front bumper

Guest Faust

Guest Faust

I have been offered a high mileage '91 for a very reasonable price. The front bumper cover is in trouble. My local boneyard has an '89 with a qood front. Internet pictures show detail differences.Can the '89 be made to work? As the car is approaching 200,000, I don't want to dump a bunch of money in it.

Guest Faust

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nic walker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ask the wrecking yard owner/manager.....the yard should have a product compatability / cross - reference manual or software. </div></div>

My difficulty with that is Hollander will give a different number for detail differences.

My local junk yard uses Hollander software and I found that it was not 100% accurate when I was searching for a Delco ignition module to replace the Magnavox module on my '88 model. A lot of the cars/years listed by Hollander would not work due to a different mounting bracket. Moral of this story is you can't always depend on Hollander to be accurate when buying parts.

Guest Faust

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ronnie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My local junk yard uses Hollander software and I found that it was not 100% accurate when I was searching for a Delco ignition module to replace the Magnavox module on my '88 model. A lot of the cars/years listed by Hollander would not work due to a different mounting bracket. Moral of this story is you can't always depend on Hollander to be accurate when buying parts. </div></div>

That is why I am here. Thanks for the response.

Guest Faust

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DAVES89</div><div class="ubbcode-body">www.car-part.com says they will work '89 to a '91 </div></div>

Couldn't quite find if there was an "interchange" button to click. But, the prices told me I better grab the $35.00 unit at my local yard and make it work.

Guest TommyH

They should all be compatable. The exterior of Reattae was not changed durring its four year run.

Agree with Tommy, there were no exterior changes to sheet metal/trim from 88-91. OK, the hood emblem was different in 88, but that's it. Apparently the cradle was slightly different in 88 due to an additional transmission mount, but that should have no bearing on the bumper mounting points.

If you can get one in good shape for $35, buy it. If it doesn't fit, someone here would likely be interested in taking it off your hands. Clean bumpers are somewhat hard to find, the anodizing starts going bad due to scratches or exposure.

KDirk