1929 Chandler Royal 8 model 75

I purchased a 1929 Chandler Royal 8 model 75 4-dr sedan three years ago. In the early 1970's the car was sent to the junk yard where it was rescued and a frame off was attempted. When I purchased the car,the engine and driveline were restored and the body was painted (rough paint job). I have not touched the car in the last three year period.

My question is this: Are there any known 1929 Chandler model 75 or 85 cars in existence that have this package?

(a)wire wheels

(b)dual sidemounts

©luggage rack

(d)Blue mohair upholstery

My concern is that spending $20K on restoring this car may not be economically justifiable in that these vintage sedans sell for around $30k restored. If this car that I have is extremely rare,then I believe that it would be justifiable to spend the effort and the money.

I would like to hear from someone regarding these thoughts.

Guest 1929Chandler

Hi Ron

I am restoring a 1929 Chandler Royal Delux 8 Modle 75

It has none of above mentioned items . As for weather it is worth it or not I am strong beliver that If you can aford it they are all worth restoring. Weather it is profitable or not is a matter to the induvidual as to how he wants to spend his time and money. If you decide not to finish it keep me in mind . It sounds like a Great project car (chandler29@charter.net) Either way good luck . Contact me if I can help you with any problems you might run into.

Ron there is a car very similar to yours in our club. The owner lives here in Southern Cal. His car is a 1929 model 75. He has dual side-mounts and wire wheels. We found a luggage rack at a swap meet that we think is close to the original.

These are great cars, though under valued and appreciated by most. You have a car that there are probably less than 10 left in the world. Most Chandler's are this way, but being an 8 cyl yours is generally more desirable. IMHO this car needs to be persevered and enjoyed.

If you have not joined our little Chandler-Cleveland Club, please do. I can give you more info about if you wish.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 29Chandler

Hi Ron,

I own the car that Chris is referring to.

My Chandler Royal 75 has all the items that you have listed. According to Chris

my serial number is the latest in the club. I would be interested in what number yours is.

I also have the same thoughts about restoring the car. I could not see it going to the wayside. The biggest hurtle for me has been finding the original parts. A few parts,

I had to make. The club has been a great help in the restoration. Swapping notes with the fellow member/owner’s has been a big help. Also new friendships have come about since

joining the club.

I would be happy to share any insight with you that you might need.

Best Regards,

Jerry Hill

jerry@steadimoves.com

• 4 weeks later...

Jerry

I am glad there is a Chandler 75 out there like mine.The serial number of my Chandler is 2931.

I only have three hubcaps out of six.The headliner is gone and the springs are all I have for seats.The upholstry was originally blue mohair.The previous owner hand painted the wood graining on the dash and window frames.

If your Chandler still has the original interior or you have pictures of the original interior ,I would like to have some pictures.

I do have a rare find. On Ebay,I bought an original owners manual for a Chandler 8. The inside title says " INSTRUCTIONS FOR PROPER MAINTENANCE AND OPERATION SEVENTY-FIVE" It has a couple of oil smudges on the outside cover,but otherwise it is in perfect condition.

If you would like to talk, my number is 785-227-8975.

Ron123

If you are thinking of restoring the car and selling it for a profit don't bother.

You will do better by selling it for what you can get, right now, and putting the money in a mutual fund.

If you want to keep it for yourself but don't want to throw your money down a rat hole that is different. It almost always costs more to restore an old car than it is worth. But the difference in your case may not be a lot, and over the years the value should go up until you wind up in the black.

In the meantime you can have an enjoyable hobby and drive around to shows etc.

It's kind of a judgement call about what kind of dough you are willing to spend on a hobby. In the end you will wind up OK. I know people who spend plenty on their pastimes with nothing to show for it. What the hell it's better than drinking the money up and pissing it away.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest Walter Berry

Anyone!!!!!!!!!

I have a 1929 Chandler Royal 75.

Purchased it February 12, 2010.

Need Chandler wheels, or a tip on template to turn, and sand new spokes, also need the rims.

Short of finding them, would the wheels from some other make and model be close enough to pass?

Yours in Harmony

Walter "Bari" Berry

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings all,

This page is from MoToR's Annual Show Number, January, 1929,

and may help in some small way. Quite an array of models were

offered; too bad the marque is barely remembered these days.

29_chandler_lineupx.jpg

Larger, click once after opening to enlarge.

In the '60's, I used to have an old 78 record, very well played, called "Dearie."

One of the lyrics went like this...

"Dearie, do you remember when we stayed up all night to get,

Pittsburgh on a crystal set?

Keystone movies, Coogan and Chaplin, made you laugh and then cry...

Test your memory,

My Dearie, do you recall when Henry Ford

Couldn't even fix

A runningboard under a Chandler Six?

Dearie, life was cheery, in the good old days gone by,

Do you remember, if you remember,

Well Dearie, you're much older than I..."

I think of that song occasionally, as it brings back very warm memories

of youth. Played that and several other 78's practically to death!

How delightful that y'all have, and are preserving, Chandler automobiles.

TG