29 CHRYSLER VACCUM TANK

mikzjr@aol.com

I HAVE HAD A PROBLEM IN THE PAST WITH A PIECE OF FINE RUST GETTING IN THE NEEDLE SHUT OFF OF THE VACCUM TANK AND NOT SHUTTING OFF THE GAS,AND THE GAS POURING OUT THE OVER FLOW ONTO THE EXHAUST LUCKY NO FIRE. IF I PUT A GLASS BOWL FILTER ON THE INLET SIDE OF THE TANK WOULD IT STILL PULL THE GAS OR RESTICT IT.

mikzjr....It should not appreciably affect the function of the vacuum tank; whereas only 3" of vacuum is required to lift the gas the 30"+/- to the top of the tank from the bottom of the gas tank a normal engine produces 16"+/- of vacuum.

Mikzjr, Why not put an in line filter before the tank preferably were no one can see it if your going for originality? I have a glass bowl on mine however it is on the outlet side of the tank on the bottom before the carb.

Sounds like maybe you have a gas tank problem?? POR 15 makes a good product for restoring the insides of gas tanks.

By the way..I'm interested in what kind of vacuum tank you have. On Chrysler's I've seen both Kingstons and Stewert-Warner. Wondering if any one out there with knowledge in this area knows which one is the original???

Dan

I suggest you put a glass bowl type sediment filter (without a filter element) at the inlet to the carb. You really don't want to restrict the flow from your vacuum tank, and a sediment bowl alone will easily drop out any solids big enough to foul the float valve on your carb.

It will also be easier to see when it needs cleaning so you can keep track of the sediment problem. The source of the sediment could be the vacuum tank, so a filter between it and the gas tank may not solve your problem.